cam swap w\ AC

89GT. how much of a nightmare is a cam swap with the AC condensor in the way? can it be dropped enuf to get the cam in over it? without disconnecting it? Jack up the engine? Are there any tricks to get around it?

Thanks,

Reply to
faust_151

Yes. I t can be done w/o disconnecting the lines. There have been writeups on the web over the last 10 years or so. Sorry I don't have any links but a google search or even looking at corral.net or 5.0 magazine archive should yield good results - pictures and instructions. May be the full head/cam swap (I'm thinking of an article about the holley systemax setup years ago) but that should be good enough -

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

NO WORRIES, just did an exploritory to see and it turns out the condenser will simply rotate down with the lines still connected leaving plenty of room to get the cam in, so thats awsome. Project ON!

Reply to
faust_151

It's been a while so I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I do know that I did not un- and recharge my A/C when I changer my cam and heads.

Reply to
WindsorFo

you can always take it to a shop have them pump the freon out, then take it back and get it charged up again, cost me $80 to do that when I put on a KB blower. Just don't turn on the AC without freon in it. The AC connectors are easy to get on and off, just a plastic thing at Auto Zone. I put the compressor in a plastic bag for a few days. When they refill it, they pump it down and remove any moistere that got into the system anyway. No problem taking the AC apart.

Reply to
Krieg Suden