Can 02 Mustang show which cylinder misfires on scanner?

I have an autotap OBD scanner with Ford parameters I am using with my

2002 GT.

I can see that the Ford generic parameters include ³Cumulative Cylinder #1 Misfires², ³Cumulative Cylinder #2 Misfires², etc. through all 8, but they don¹t show up on my list.

There are a lot of diagnostic parameters relating to engine misfire that I can read on my scanner, but none of them indicate which cylinder is misfiring.

Thanks for any help,

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

I'm not familiar with your scanner but do you have any misfire codes? Fords WDS has the ability to use CPS data to determine misfiring cylinders.

AFAIK, using the supplied scan tools, we have no way of reading cummulative misfire data. There are two different misfire conditions. Class A misfires will start the CEL flashing, trigger Failure Mode Effects Management and will generally cause the PCM to shut down the fuel injectors on the affected cylinders to prevent catalyst damage. Class B misfires will merely set the CEL and set a code. Sorry I can't remember the exact distinction between misfire classes... by the time I get them, it doesn't matter, the customer merely wants it's fixed.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks Jim,

You can see all Ford parameters at this page;

When my scanner starts up, it communicates with the pcm and it reports that it can display only the parameters at the end of this email (not the full Ford list).

My scanner does not show any DTCs, but my car is obviously misfiring.

Most of my misfire related codes do not show anything , but I have found that ³Low Word of Cumulative Misfires² corresponds very closely to the stumbling that I am experiencing when I give it the gas. It shoots up every time my car is running roughly.

I have noted that when it misfires the parameter Fuel System Status Bank

1 is set to OL-1 instead of CL-1, or closed loop which it normally runs in.

I guess I don¹t know what I¹m doing, but I was expecting that my scan tool would be more helpful to show what is going on.

John

0.020" dia idle evap leak check Run Always reads NO 0.020" dia idle evap leak check completed Always reads NO 0.20" dia idle evap leak check not allowed Always reads NO 4x4 Low This always reads 4x2 A/C Clutch Read off with A/C off A/C Pressure Switch Open Active Axle Ratio Always 3348 : 1 Active Tire Size Always 812 Air Conditioning Cycling Switch Off with a/c off Anti-scan enabled and counting ??? Always Disabled ACCESS TIMED AIR RIDE CTRL-FAULT No AUTO RIDE CTRL STATUS OFF Absolute Throttle Position Sensor % Read 20 - 92 Absolute Throttle Position Sensor Voltage Read 0.9 to 4.5 Volts Same pattern as above BANK 1 UPSTREAM HEGO VOLT Strange chart ­ always less than 1 then

BANK 2 UPSTREAM HEGO VOLT MUCH Different than ^ Varies from 0 to

1 Barometric Pressure Seems to always read 103.3 kPa Battery Voltage Brake On/Off Switch Always off CFCIL Always off CID SNES FAIL MODE CONTINUOUS DTC COUNTER Canister purge requested Canister purge solenoid output driver fault Catylyst Monitoring Status CLUTCH SOL 3/2 TIMING PRES Calculated Engine Load Canister Vent Solenoid Duty Cycle Check Fuel Cap Light Fault Closed throttle position Coast Clutch Currently misfiring Log Comprehensive component Monitoring Status May be componentss monitor completed this driving cycle Cumulative Misfires LOG EGR DPFE sensor input at the time of misfire Always 1 HER System Monitoring Status EGR System in Failure Mode EVAP monitor soak time conditions have been met EVR output driver fault (Open) EVR output driver fault (Short) Engine load at the time of misfire Engine rpm at the time of misfire Engine running time at the time of misfire (blanked on autotap readout?) Evaporative system monitoring Status (completed this driving cycle) Engine-off soak time at the time of misfire Fuel System Monitoring Status Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Failure IAC output fault (Short to Ground) IAC output fault (Short to Load) Idle Speed Control Operating Mode In Gear during time of misfire Intake air temperature at the time of misfire MIL Maximum Intermittent HEGO B1S1 Fault Filter Value Maximum Intermittent HEGO B1S2 Fault Filter Value Maximum Intermittent HEGO B2S1 Fault Filter Value Maximum Intermittent HEGO B2S2 Fault Filter Value Misfire Monitoring Status Misfire wheel profile learned in KAM Number of trips since the time of misfire O2 Sensor Heater Monitoring Status O2 Sensor Monitoring Status OBDII Trip Completed Open Loop PCM_ID PCM_VFY Throttle Position at the time of misfire Total number of on-demand codes Vehicle speed at time of misfire Duty Cycle for Fuel Pump Control Output EGO 21 FLT EGO11 FLT EGR Duty Cycle EGR Sensor Voltage ENG ENABLE IN ENG OIL TEMP FAULT DETECTED EVAP monitor soak time conditions have been met Engine Coolant Temperature Engine Coolant Temperature Voltage Engine Speed FAN SECONDARY CKT MONITOR FLEX FUEL SENS ON/OFF FLEX FUEL-ALCOHOL CONTENT LEARNED FUEL CNTRL STATE FUEL PUMP MONITOR ON/OFF FUEL PUMP OUT FAULT DETECTED Fuel Pressure Fuel Pressure (gage) Fuel Pump Monitor Duty Cycle Fuel Rail Pressure Fuel Rail Pressure Transducer Raw Input Fuel System Status Bank 1 OL-1 Vehicle has not reached conditions to go to closed loop. It will stay in this mode until vehicle warms up OL-2 Because of driving conditions, vehicle is no longer using oxygen sensors for feedback OL-3 Because a fault has occurred, the vehicle is no longer using o2 sensors for feedback CL-1 Vehicle has warmed up and is running normally using the o2 sensors to control the fuel mixture. This is the normal operating mode. CL-2 Vehicle is warmed up and using o2 sensors for feedback, but there is a fault with at least one O2 sensor

Fuel Tank Level Fuel Tank Pressure Fuel Tank Pressure Voltage

HO2S11 Voltage HO2S11 actual heater status HO2S11 actual heater commanded HO2S11 actual heater current HO2S11 heater output driver fault

HO2S12 Voltage HO2S12 actual heater status HO2S12 actual heater commanded HO2S12 actual heater current HO2S12 heater output driver fault

HO2S21 Voltage HO2S21 actual heater status HO2S21 actual heater commanded HO2S21 actual heater current HO2S21 heater output driver fault HO2S11 Voltage

HO2S22 Voltage HO2S22 actual heater status HO2S22 actual heater commanded HO2S22 actual heater current HO2S22 heater output driver fault

High Speed Fan INTAKE MANIF RUN CONT FAULT DET INTAKE MANIF TUNING VALV CONT FAULT INTAKE MANIFOLD RUN CTRL INTAKE MNFLD TUNING VALV VAC CTRL Idle Air Control or Idle Speed Duty Cycle Ignition Timing Advance Info for CARB Verification of Adaptive Fuel pump Monitor Info for CARB Verification of Adaptive Fuel pump Monitor Intake Air Temperature Intake Air Temperature Voltage or Air Charge Temperature LOW SPD FUEL PUMP FAULT DETECTED LOW-SPD VAN OUT FAULT DETECTED Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 Low Speed Fan Low Word MIS_NOCALL Low Word Total Cylinder Events Low Word of Cumulative Misfires MALF INDICATE LMP OUT FAULT DET MASS AIR FLOW RATE MASTER KEY PRESENT MED FAN SPD FAULT MED FAN SPD REQ ON MIS_NOCALL Cyl Events Mass Air Flow Rate Mass Air Flow sensor voltage Module User RAM Start Address Neutral/Drive Input O2 Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 1 (mV) O2 Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 2 (mV) O2 Sensor - Bank 2 Sensor 1 (Volts) O2 Sensor - Bank 2 Sensor 1 (mV) O2 Sensor - Bank 2 Sensor 2 (Volts) O2 Sensor - Bank 2 Sensor 2 (mV) O2S DOWNSTREAM HTR CTRL OBD Requirements OPEN LOOP FUEL STATUS PATTERN SELECT SW STATE PRES CNTRL FLT PROFILE IGN PICKUP Park/Neutral Position Power Steering Load Power Take Off Purge Duty Cycle Rear O2 Fuel Trim, Bank 2 Rear O2 Fuel Trim, Bank1 Register Address for ALC_STRT_KAM SECONDARY AIR FAULT INDICATOR SECONDARY AIR MONITOR SECONDARY THROT (TC) FAULT Always no SERVMOD Always no SOFTWARE OCTANE ADJUST Always noanyt SPARE KEY PROGRAMMING Always Disabled Spare Key Programming Always Enabled SW4x4L Always Off Security Access Time Always 0 Shift Solenoid 1 Always Off Shift Solenoid 2 Always Off Shift Solenoid 3 Always Off Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 Always -95 Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 Always O Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 Makes a chart, varies little Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 Makes a chart, varies Short Term Fuel Trim from O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1 Makes a chart, varies Short Term Fuel Trim from O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2 Stuck at 99.2 Short Term Fuel Trim from O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1 Makes a chart, varies Short Term Fuel Trim from O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2 Stuck at 99.2 Spark Advance TC AVAILABLE Always ON TCASE Always reads ESOF TCC TRANS RANGE SENS-DIGITAL TRANSAXLE RATIO LEARNED TRANSMISSION CNTRL SW FLAG The Secondary Air Injection Throttle Mode Throttle Position Angle Time Since Engine Start Total Cylinder Events Trans control indicator light Transmission Control Switch Transmission Output Shaft Speed VEH ENABLE STATUS Vapor Management Valve Output State Monitor Variable Speed Fan Fault Vehicle Speed WOT A/C CUTOUT PRIMARY CKT FAULT

Reply to
John Shepardson

With some experience and a little help from autotap, I have no doubts your scan tool will proove very useful. Some of our problem is the mix of terms.... Our Ford scan tools list various loop conditions.... Open loop drive is enabled when we go to wide open throttle, it is also enabled briefly after a WOT event to act as a cool down cycle for the cat. Open loop-fault is pretty self explanatory. Closed loop drive and closed loop fault are also self explanatory....

I'm not sure how your OL-1 and CL-1 figure in to this. I'm sure that there should be something in your documentation or assistance would be available from the manufacturer to help clear this part. Autotap may also be helpful in interpreting their misfire data...

Reply to
Jim Warman