Can't "Speed Shift" my T5.....

..... SOB SUCKS! :>(

When I DO try to "Speed Shift" from 1-2, the shifter feels like it's jamming up and HARD to engage 2nd gear.

Under normal and "spirited" driving conditions, the OEM shifter shifts OK. But during Speed shifting, it just plain SUCKS.

Is this normal for the OEM shifter and will an aftermarket shifter alleviate this problem ??

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

--->> FOR SALE

Reply to
Katmandu

Yes this is normal and also be aware that it is normal to bend shifting forks when forced. I suggest a good after market shifter with adjustable stops. Steeda's Tri-Ax, Pro 5, B & M among others are good choices running about $150 to $200.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Once you get the funds and get the new shifter in, update us on how it went. We all love hearing abut success stories when changing something to a Stang.

Reply to
Greg B.

I've got two. Now if the T-45 in the Cobra wasn't such a piece of shit, I'd be happier. ;-)

The T-5 in the LX on the other hand seems to be quite healthy.

JS

Reply to
JS

Get a PRO 5.0 shifter!!!

Reply to
digimortal

I agree with the T-45 and stock shifter. I nearly pulled the shifter out of the tranny tonight at the strip. Miss third once (lot of grinding) against a '03 vette too - cost me the race... However, I do have a Tri-Ax although still in the box. But, with the season over I'll be installing that next.

'97 cobra

Reply to
cobra97

Leave the Tri-Ax in the box and put a T-56 in the car.

I have a '97 Cobra as well. The Tri-Ax makes it a much nicer shift and I love the shifter, but it doesn't help you hit second... maybe third just a hair. But, if you're already out grinding gears, the synchros are just about done for by now.

My T-45 is just biding its time until I can afford an '03 drivetrain, or at least transmission setup. A T-56 and a real clutch would do my car some good. Maybe then I could hit 2nd hard without the inevitable crunching noise that even occurs when it drops right in. Car's been like that since I bought it at 24k miles.

JS

Reply to
JS