Car will not start in cold weather, Why?

I have a Ford Explorer and it will not start when it dips into the 20s. It has about 50,000 miles and is a 1999. The battery is fine and the engine cranks. When the weather warms back up it starts fine. I used to drive an old mustang and I had to set the choke in cold weather, but I thought it was automatic in the newer cars. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

Years ago I had the same problem and after several trips to the local shop it was determined that the incorrect viscosity oil was put in. The oil was changed and the problem went away.

Reply to
Jim McQuade

I had the oil changed after the first time it happened at the Ford dealership and it happened again. I did not ask them about this when I was there since it was running fine at the time. I guess I was hoping the problem would just go away if I waited long enough. That is very interesting that the viscosity of the oil could cause a car not to start. I would have never guessed that! I don't think the dealer would put the wrong oil viscosity in my car twice in a row, would they?

Reply to
Aaron

My guess is that your (automatic) choke is not working properly.

BTW, my recently purchased '66 Mustang has a manual choke, which I thought was stock, but my mechanic (who specializes in Mustangs -- Eliot at Mustang Corral in San Jose) said it isn't -- that automatic chokes were stock. Anyway, the manual choke wasn't closing completely, causing poor starting in cold weather, but now it's fixed and the starting is fine.

I'm about to leave to pick up this car with newly installed disc brakes and a new alternator.

Reply to
rw

Well I hope they would not do it twice. I was driving a VW at the time and just happened to look at a repair bill and noticed that the incorrect oil was put in and told they dealer that my guess it was the oil viscosity. Sure enough it was the problem.

Just saw that I was loged in as Jim McQuade ( that is my real name) as I was loged in at work for the Rec. Marine Group. Previous posts have been under Martin.

20O2 GT 5 spd currently in winter storage. 243 rwhp 285 rwtq
Reply to
Jim McQuade

Your explorer is fuel injected. I had a problem with a fuel injected car that wouldn't start in the cold. Turned out to be mostly electrical related. Was getting enough juice to turn over, but with the starter drawing all that current it wasn't getting enough tio fire the injector. It cranked and cranked but wouldnt' start unless you put gas or started fluid down the throttle body. Just a thought... Also, try alt.autos.ford. Your Explorer is OT here, so you will probably get better answers in the ford group.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Doubt the oil would make a difference. Does it crank okay or slow ? I would have the stored codes checked for any errors. There might be something wrong with the electronics, maybe a temperature sensor that thinks the engine is warm enough and you don't need extra fuel to get it started ?

A lot of carparts stores let you borrow their code readers for free, some even read the codes for you.

Rein