Carb Intakes

Edelbrock has announced the release of carb intakes for EFI powerplants, including the Romeo 4.6. The reasoning here is that people can snag now-plentiful OHC engines out of the j-yards and retrofit them into older vehicles with the hassles of setting up EFI computers and fuel systems.

OK except for two things. One, how would one go about setting up ignition timing without a computer? Two, those engines, as far as older cars are concerned, don't fit any compartments except for the full-size frame jobbies. And why bother putting 281 inches in a 4000-lb Galaxie?

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Just stick 4 banger distributors on the front of each head off the cams.

They will fit in a BOSS '9s engine bay ( lots of them around!) StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Ignition timing might need to be managed by an MSD DIS box or something of the sort - something electronic that would handle all of the duties formerly done by the computer, including a vacuum sensor to determine advance (as trying to use electronics would not work - no more sensors). I'm not aware of any such system, however, Motorsport might actually have a kit available. The 5.0 cammer was being marketed as a project car builder's dream engine, and is available right out of the box with a carbureted setup and maybe even all of the wiring to make it function.

As for the engine bay size... eh... I guess that's where modifications come in. They'll fit (barely) in a Fox chassis. As for older cars, yeah, it needs to be able to squeeze a big block in for it to fit. The only nice part about going with the cammer and squeezing it in is that the spark plugs are on top, no need to pull the engine back out to change them. As long as you don't need access to the oil pan or the headers, you should be fine after it's finally shoehorned in there.

You mentioned not needing EFI electronics and fuel systems - there still needs to be an electric fuel pump and regulator for the carb(s) though... there is no provision (as far as I know) for a fuel pump drive, nor a mechanical pump that would work on these engines.

I agree though... 281 cubes seems a bit small in a 2-ton car.

JS

Reply to
JS

It certainly wouldn't be worth the effort. That said, I have somewhere a one-off magazine that featured hot cars in one half, then you turn it upside-down for the hot boats half. Anyway, there is a Pantera that had a 4.6 with gold-plated Weber carbs on it. I can't remember the specifics of the ignition, as this article is about ten years old. Maybe a crank trigger was used.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Boy, you got all the answers tonight, dontcha?

Reply to
CobraJet

CobraJet wrote

those engines, as far as older

For Mustangs there's the Mustang II conversion (Rod & Custom; Heidt's), which eliminates the shock towers. I have seen a couple of these at the car shows. Or there's the Fox MacPherson strut conversion (Fat Man and this new Aussie brand Revelation Racing Supplies), which allows trimming of the shock tower. The RRS kit even comes with new shocktower plates to weld into the hole. TCP coil-over kits would allow a bunch of trimming too, but TCP is either out of business or soon will be.

The problem is any one of these options costs multiple thousands of dollars. Why bother when there are so many pushrod 5.0 blocks out there, ready to drop in and deliver at least 300 hp, more if you go stroker or give up driveability?

Check the July 2004 Car Craft 347 build up: 514 hp @ 6800, 457 lb-ft @ 5200 (425 lb-ft from 3600-6000). Twisted Wedge heads -- 206cc, 61 cc, 2.08/1.60. CR -- 10.5:1. Cam -- Comp hydraulic roller, 246/254 @ .050, .635/.635, 110 LDA. 750 cfm Holley DP. Victor Jr. single plane.

1-inch tapered spacer. 1.6:1 Comp stainless steel roller rockers. Scat rotating assembly, everything forged (4.030 x 3.400). MSD Billet dizzie, 6AL, MSD wires.

Not exactly street friendly, but it runs on pump gas and you could drop one in your classic Stang for, what, $6,000?

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

this might work

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

At 900 bucks, it kinda kills the idea of a budget swap.

Reply to
CobraJet

Exactly. While a baby cammer might look neat with custom valve covers, and devoid of all the excess crap riding along on top of it, this whole concept is fairly lacking, IMO.

If you're gonna go new-tech stroker pushrod, let's do it right. July Hot Rod: 505 ci FE, 676 hp @ 6200, 624 lb-ft @ 5400 (508 at 3000), Edelbrock heads, SCAT crank, Comp solid roller, Accel throttle body, blah blah blah. Why be a wuss when you can suck the fuel rails clean off of every twitching corpse you leave in your jetstream?

At 13:1 on the FE, you can show the low-comp lemmings what winging the throttle should *really* sound like. And bring a date, 'cuz there ain't no better aphrodisiac than spent race fuel blowing up her skirt.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Heh. The first car I ever drove was a Galaxie. If I recall correctly, it was 400 CI police car which had been retired and auctioned off. My step dad was the lucky winner. I was creeping along the back parking lot of a large shopping plaza when my step dad reached his foot over and stomped the gas pedal to the floor. Scared the bejesus out of me! I "graduated" to a Toyota Corolla after that (with the rear bumper tied on with a rope).

My love for Mustangs started around the same time thanks to the Galaxie. With the high powered Ford, my step dad became friends with a guy who had a Boss 302 Mustang. At the age of 15, I thought it was the coolest car I had ever seen (or heard). I don't know why it has taken me 25 years to buy one of my own!!

Alan Wedin

Reply to
Alan Wedin