Change door lock cylinder on a '66

My driver side door lock cylinder has not been operational for th time I have had the car (December 2002) (Amateur break it attempt?) Prioritised cruising over this until now.

I was thinking of exchanging it with the passenger side cylinder.

I know I could buy a new cylinder set, but I thought I should save the money for now and who needs to use the key to open the passenger door anyway.

What's the easiest way to remove and reinstall a lock cylinder.?

Thanks

Best Regards

Reply to
Aimo

Remove door panels, rear in and remove the locking bar, pull out giant "C" clip, remove cylinder from door...............

Bill S.

Aimo wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Hi Aimo,

The passenger door cylinder will possible not work in the drivers side. The reason for this is on the back of the cylinder there is what they call a pawl or a cam and the configuration of the cylinder body. If this cam can be flipped over to be protruding from the opposite side, you might be able to use it in the opposite door.You might not be able to put the cylinder in the opposite door due to the shape of the cylinder body as well. You would at this point need to get a new cylinder and if you do, go to a locksmith who has been around for many years chances are he or she might have a set of cylinders. The locksmith can very easily rekey the cylinder(s) to fit your original key as well. As for changing them out, you will need to remove the inside door panel which on your car would be rather simple with the use of hand tools such as a phillips screw driver, socket set etc. Once the panel is removed, there is a clip that holds the lock cylinder in place. Remove the clip by sliding it off towards the center of the door and disconnect the linkage and the cylinder will come right out. This clip probably will be a bear to get out but with the use of a large flat head screw driver, you can pry it out to avoid cutting your hand by slipping. Being a locksmith for many years, I have done this more times than I would like to admit. Reverse the steps taken to reinstall everything and you will be done.

Good luck,

Steve

98 SVT Cobra #5098 Triple Black Steeda Underdrive Pulleys Steeda Adjustable Clutch Quadrant Steeda Tri Ax Shifter Borla Cat Back Exhaust Bassani X Pipe MAC Cold Air Intake

02 FLHRSEI

00 FXSTD Stage II
Reply to
SJB