Changed oil... very little came out

My neighbor in her 95 GT (96 maybe? I forgot what she said, but I'm pretty sure it's a 95).. she changed her oil & noticed that about 2 qts came out... and the oil filter had oil as well... (normal).. but what's up with the

2qts? Her car never blows smoke.. where'd all the oil go? TIA.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

A) leaked. B) burned. C) turned to sludge. D) any combination of the above.

Reply to
Brent P

Reply to
stew

Ask her if she drained the oil from *both* drain plugs in the oil pan....

Reply to
cat daddy

What?

Reply to
<memset

Well that can't be good... no smoke comes out EVER (I see her drive it a lot... beautiful car.. except the rear bumper) so I doubt it's burning.. leaked to where? No oil spots under her car on her regular parking spot... hmm.. turned to sludge? uh oh... how do you remove all this "sludge" if that is what happened? Motor flush?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

there are two oil drainplugs on my car (95 GT).....sounds to me like she didn't use both since there aren't any noticeable leaks.....I couldn't tell you really where they are though....I'm more point and show heh

Reply to
Emily Quesenberry

That may very well be the case if it is a 94/95 w/ 5.0 The fox body and 94/95 302 5.0 motors have a dual sump oil pan due to the location of the steering rack. There is a front chamber and a rear chamber. The front drain plug can be seen at the very front of the oil pan while the rear chamber can be seen at the bottom of the oil pan at the rear. If only the front was drained you would only see about a quart of oil. The rear would account for the other three or so and a filter for almost one quart.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Ok... I'll ask her when she gets home what year it is for sure. She didn't mention a 2nd drain plug... might be a 96.. I *know* it's not newer than 96.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Please see Emily's and Tim's replies, although I don't understand what was so confusing about mine.

Reply to
cat daddy

I just didn't know that 5.0's had 2 drain plugs.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

What?

Reply to
cat daddy

You wrote "Ask her if she drained the oil from *both* drain plugs in the oil pan...."... I didn't know that 5.0's had 2 drain plugs.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Oil can burn without visible smoke. Consumption is generally less than a quart every 1000 miles. If oil isn't checked and topped off it would gradually drop in level until detectable. Also, if the car wasn't level some oil would remain in the pan and other parts of the engine.

Reply to
Brent P

Ok... it's a 96 Mustang GT.. only 1 drain plug. Anybody have any ideas? She said it's not leaking oil & not burning oil... I mentioned that it could be sludging up & she just kinda didn't know what to say to that... Motor flush?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Given that it was apparently being driven around that low, I'd say why the hell not? Odds are it can't hurt the motor more than whatever's in there now.

Wabbitslayer

01 GT vert
Reply to
wabbitslayer

Heh. I'll tell her to try motor flush then. I've used it once in my friend's car... made a world of difference.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset
** Ok... it's a 96 Mustang GT.. only 1 drain plug. Anybody have any ideas? She ** said it's not leaking oil & not burning oil... I mentioned that it could be ** sludging up & she just kinda didn't know what to say to that... Motor flush? ** ** -Mike

Does (did) she know for sure before draining that the proper amount was actually in the engine? It's possible she burned much of it off (the cats burn it clean enough after warming up that no smoke actually appears at the tailpipe) and the level was just ultra-low.

Either way, this is not good. Does she actually check the level when she fuels?

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Yes it could. If there is sludge in there, it can move it from a place where it does no harm to where it does alot of harm.

I am still leaning towards slow, regular consumption and delayed oil change.

Reply to
Brent P

Dunno. I'll ask her a/b it when i see her again... she went somewhere.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset