Changing brake fluid...

How often is this recommended? Is there a noticeable difference? I know brake fluid soaks up water, so I figure after a few years, it probably should go? Also, does anyone know the cost for this, from our friendly Ford dealers, that is?

Thanks!

Brad

Reply to
Brad

And don't forget a friend to manipulate the brake pedal while you open/close the bleeder valves. I've done this a few times, and unless you have a buddy who knows why he's stepping on the pedal and holding it down, it might be one of those things that feels safer and saves some aggravation to get done at a shop. It's not hard or anything, but it can be a pain in the ass, especially if you forget to keep the fluid topped off and some air gets in there (leading to twice as much bleeding). Also have PLENTY of brake fluid on hand, you want to get every last bit of the old stuff out and just to be safe that means running a lot of the new stuff through and out into your waste bottle.

I did this once with a friend who wasn't paying much attention, and simply stepped down on the brakes after doing it right a couple times, this shot the tubing right off the valve (those tubes never seem to fit just right), when I cussed loudly because the fluid splashed me, he let OFF the brakes immediately which sucked a bunch of air into the valve, at which point I told him not to let off like that he stepped BACK down and sprayed me with even MORE. It's funny now years later, but it wasn't too funny at the time :)

Reply to
Simon Juncal