Changing Drivers Window -> after Breakin

Hey Guys,

My 2003 Mustang was broken into over the weekend and stuff was stolen, but my main question is how hard is it to replace the drivers door window, if I got one from the junk yard. Is it worth it to do it myself? The quotes I have recieved to fix it are between 200-300 and my deductible is 500. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Shane

Reply to
Shane Metzler

Hey Guys,

My 2003 Mustang was broken into over the weekend and stuff was stolen, but my main question is how hard is it to replace the drivers door window, if I got one from the junk yard. Is it worth it to do it myself? The quotes I have recieved to fix it are between 200-300 and my deductible is 500. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Shane

Reply to
Shane Metzler

Hi Shane... I don't have the answer to your question, but after having my door panels off and looking at the tight little space in there, I would hesitate to attempt this witout some really good study. As I recall, some of the brackets are riveted in with big azzed rivets.

The reason for my reply is.. why in the world would you opt for a $500 deductible on your Comp coverage? On Comp, nothing higher than $50 makes it worth while. Say, a rock in the windshield, a parking lot ding, slashed tires, a broken window, shopping cart whams it, a kid keys it.. see where I am going with this? Yup, your premimums would be a little higher, but if you think of it as a payment plan on what will eventually happen anyway, it makes it all worthwhile.

*mom mode off*

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I disagree. Why waste the money in increased premiums? Also, every claim will increase your premiums as well. Insurance companies make a lot of their profit by investing their money. The markets aren't as strong as they were a few years ago, they are not making as much profit. Because of this, they are not being very kind customers with many claims. Two claims in a couple years time and you may be history. You are then considered high risk and you have to pay considerably more to be insured all because you made claims on minor incidents that were barely more than the deductible. Save your money, keep the deductible high and use the insurance for when it is really needed. John

Reply to
jriegle

Not to mention that for many insurance companies, the minimum comp deductible is $200. I'm in the insurance biz, and for most people, it doesn't make sense to have the deductible any less than $250. Most people have a $500 deductible.

Reply to
Lew Reid

Hi Kate,

I appologize for the post...I was really scatterbrained yesterday. Here's the situtation, I left my car at work over the weekend, I know "why?". I was going out of town to orlando with my wife, I live in Tampa, and I figured work would be safer than my house, because people are always in and out of the building...well the last time it was checked on was at 7:30pm on Sunday evening. When I got to work on Monday morning the drivers window was smashed in and some things were stolen, Car documentation, ie registration, book, zipper case, ins card, etc, an amp, 2 subs, a speaker box, and some cd's. The ironic part is the azzholes, I hope that's appropriate, left other cd's, radar detector, garage door opener, and a 500 radio. They also didnt destroy anything in the car. Noone except for people whom I work and friends, both whom I trust and have known for 3-4+ years, knew that it was in the car. I haven't listened to the radio loudly since about April...and at various competetions that are not local to the area I live/work in. I try not to let anyone know of what's in the car, so I wouldn't get ripped off, well that didnt work. Anyways, the cop said it was wierd of what was taken and what was left...The "easy grab" stuff was left, but the hard things were taken. BTW...The sub box would not fit out the trunk opening or the backseat drop. The whole backseat had to be re-moved to get the things in. So, the whole situation doesn't make any sense. I thought my ins ded for Comp was 500, but after calling it is 250, and they will cover the things that were stolen if they were attached to the vechile. The window to get installed is running me 180.xx. It's suppose to be put in today. The question I had meant to post was, How hard is it for me to go and get the driver's window from a junk yard and install into the door myself. I have never actually replaced the window. So I just wanted to know if it was worth the 180 for it to be professionally done, or could I save myself some money and do it myself. Does, that help any? Thanks for your advise,

Shane

"SVTKate" wrote in message news:mWenb.4183$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
Shane Metzler

Sorry, but you're wrong. Comp claims do NOT increase your rates. Of course, as long as you do not abuse the thing.

Trust me on this one, I've been there and done that.

Kate

| > The reason for my reply is.. why in the world would you opt for a $500 | > deductible on your Comp coverage? On Comp, nothing higher than $50 makes | it | > worth while. Say, a rock in the windshield, a parking lot ding, slashed | > tires, a broken window, shopping cart whams it, a kid keys it.. see where | I | > am going with this? Yup, your premimums would be a little higher, but if | you | > think of it as a payment plan on what will eventually happen anyway, it | > makes it all worthwhile. | | I disagree. Why waste the money in increased premiums? Also, every claim | will increase your premiums as well. Insurance companies make a lot of their | profit by investing their money. The markets aren't as strong as they were a | few years ago, they are not making as much profit. Because of this, they are | not being very kind customers with many claims. Two claims in a couple years | time and you may be history. You are then considered high risk and you have | to pay considerably more to be insured all because you made claims on minor | incidents that were barely more than the deductible. Save your money, keep | the deductible high and use the insurance for when it is really needed. | John | | > *mom mode off* | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

My mom had used her insurance company to repair a windshield & it didn't increase her rate... Kate's right on this.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Hi Shane.. Hon, the window should be covered under the same claim. If it were me, I would make a complete list of what was taken (count the CD's as a loss, your home owner's is expected to cover it, not your auto policy, and it isn't worth a homeowner's claim for some CD's) and a monitary value, provide documentation if possible, and receipts are even better. They will deduct the $250, and pay for the rest, meaning you will get your window, and lose some belongings, but may come out without having to spend a penny ... except of course to replace the things that were in the car.

If it were me, and I had the $180, I would have someone do it. The reason is they will not only be able to get all the glass out, they will be able to tell if anything else is damaged like the regulator or weatherstripping and they will gurantee their work so if it's fubar you won't have to mess with it.

Sorry your car got broken into, sounds suspicious to me too... next time, leave it at my house, and take the keys with ya!

Kate

| > The reason for my reply is.. why in the world would you opt for a $500 | > deductible on your Comp coverage? On Comp, nothing higher than $50 makes | it | > worth while. Say, a rock in the windshield, a parking lot ding, slashed | > tires, a broken window, shopping cart whams it, a kid keys it.. see where | I | > am going with this? Yup, your premimums would be a little higher, but if | you | > think of it as a payment plan on what will eventually happen anyway, it | > makes it all worthwhile. | >

| > *mom mode off* | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

check with your insurance comp.. i had $100 deductible, but the deduction was not on glass breakage. it was for collision... the window in my car was paid for in full..... glass breakage is different from the plain old collision ded... you might get them to pay for it?????? dont hurt to ask....

Reply to
jim