Changing Fox Headlights

My 90's head/running/turn lights are yellowed and dull. I have done the polishing and it helped but not good enough. The aftermarket selection is pretty good with most 6pc sets about $125. Any recommendations on which supplier: TMD, BlueOval, etc. Thanks Jim

90 SSP Jax. Fl
Reply to
Skunkfeet

Whatever you do, don't buy the complete headlight replacement sets sold by Latemodel Restoration Supply (50resto.com). As much as I like their service, that one particular product just isn't worth the cost. It's not a quality product at all, and I've been really quite displeased with the ones I have from them.

Bryan

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

I got mine from TMD and they look great, been in since November.

I got the fog lights from ebay from mrtaillight.com (excellent I might add). The LX tail lights I got from 3 sources. The first set I got from a local junk yard and had one smashed about a month after installing them. I then traded my GT tail lights with Dave's Mustang for another set of LX taillights even up. I've since purchased another driver side from ebay (private seller) so I have an extra set since the local junk yards don't have many any more.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

They are the same manufacturer as all the othe Mustang places like Mustangs Unlimited, Texas Mustang etc. If you are not satisfied call them and tell them. Look for PonyGirl76705 in the chat room Ford vs Chevy under the Special Interests section and mention it to her. She works at 5.0Resto.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Make sure you get the plain clear rather than the projector, unless you like that kind of thing. Also the projectors don't have the quality that the regular clear ones do.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I purchased their "top of the line" clear headlight replacement set for my

1991 GT, and here's the list of problems I had. 1) the plastic used felt rather weak and thin 2) the headlights fit poorly in their mounting holes 3) the headlights leaked badly as soon as it rained, and also leak heavily whenever the car is washed 4) one of the headlight bulbs burned out almost immediately 5) the rubber gaskets included that surround the headlights don't fit at all, and started to decay and crack after about two months of use 6) the beam pattern seems oddly spread out, and light leaks from the sides so badly that when driving at night it's as though I have additional headlights pointing out the side of my car

In all, I'd say I'm extremely displeased with them. Same goes for the cheapie fog light replacements I bought... the metal retaining clip on one of them broke almost instantly, and required me to solder it back together in order to make it usable... I definitely got what I paid for with those. I should have just returned the lot of them, but as I needed a vehicle that had functioning lights ASAP I didn't have much choice. I like everything else about 50resto.com, their service has always been wonderful and the "not made by Ford" replacement parts I have purchased from them (like window motors, door locks, seals, etc.) have always worked well. The lights are the one exception. I'd say avoid their lights entirely.

Bryan

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

That being the case, I'd say avoid all of them then and go for a place that sells legitimate Ford replacement lights... I've seen a few in the various Mustang magazines out there. The marker lights were alright I suppose, but the headlights were not at all worth the price. Perhaps someday when I have the time and budget I'll address the issue again, but life's too hectic right now for me to find the time to worry about it.

It's something of a moot point now, but thank you for the tip. I'm hoping that I'll never end up with as displeasing a purchase again, but if I do I'll be sure to follow up with them more closely. And again, I want to stress that everything else I've ever purchased from them has been entirely satisfying, and the service has always been top notch. It's just that one bum product that I didn't like, and it sounds to me that all the parts vendors would be in the same boat with that item.

Bryan

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

Thanks for all the input. I ordered a 6pc set from TheMustangWarehouse. $140 total. I hope I will have good things to say about them. Stay tuned. Jim

90 SSP Jax. Fl
Reply to
Skunkfeet