changing gears to 3.73 Question

hi this weekend were gonna change the rear end gears from 2.73 to 3.73 in my 95 stang 5.0. will there be any problems with the computer now that the rear gears have changed?? How do i go about getting the speedo to recognize the new gears?? the trans is an Aode with a transgo shift kit. i still have the superchip that i took out recently. can that be reprogrammed to work with the new gears ?? any advise greatly apprieciated!!

Thanks barb

Reply to
barbara johnson

"barbara johnson" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I can tell you the change is nothing short of amazing, as I did it on my '93. However, I'm not sure if the AODE uses a speedo gear like the AOD or if the computer controls the speedo, but I believe the computer should be fine as far as controlling actual shift points. I'm sure others will have better info for you.

Joe

First the AODE does still use a speedo gear. However the drive gear in the tranny and the "largest" speedo cable gear you can get (21 tooth) will only be correct for 3.55 gears unless you have a taller than stock tire. There is a 23 tooth gear, but I wouldn't use it. The 23 tooth gear is actually a Jeep part and the they don't mess perfectly with the internal gear in the transmission and will break apart over time. This is what happened to me, and since my car is now a five speed you can guess the outcome. Dallas Mustang sells a unit that will electronically alter your signal from the speed sensor to correct your speedometer.

As for needing the EEC reprogram that's all going to depend on the level of power your car is making. Long story short here, but the EEC uses an acceleration factor to calculate your shift timing as it takes a certain amount of time for the tranny to actually shift. Because your car will accelerate faster with the 3.73 gears, but the shift timing is still based on the original rates your shift points will be higher. Typically this would sound like a good thing. The downside is the rev limiter has not moved any higher. On a highly modified car you can actually hit the rev limiter before your car will up shift to the next gear. Now if your car is basically stock with only minor upgrades like a cat back system and a cold air kit you shouldn't have a problems, and the increased shift point will probably be just right. So give it a try, and if you run into problems just lift to shift until you get your chip redone.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG