Changing tires from 4 lug to 5 lug or the other way around

Question oh yee most knowledgeable and wise RAMFM gurus,

I have seen many posts from people asking how to change their wheel from 4 lug to 5 lug and the corresponding answers on what is involved.

My question si twofold..

  1. Why would you do this..What purpose /gain do you get from going through this process?

2, Is this something that a. I could do on my 89 5.0 GT Vert and is it something I shoudl want to do?

Thanks!

Matt

89 5.0 GT Vert Mods: New hood New fender New rear quarter window New rear window motor New top New tranny New battery New alternator (yeah I know they are not real mods but thats where all my mod money went this summer!)
Reply to
Matt

The biggest reason is wheel selection for 5 lug is much better than 4 lug. Even if the wheel is offered in both 4 and 5 lug the 4 lug wheel will look different, and that to most people looks funny. Once the power gets upped a ton the extra lug may have a strength benefit as well, but I se plenty of broken axles that the lugs are still intact.

2, Is this something that a. I could do on my 89 5.0 GT Vert and is it

Not if your happy with your wheels now. If your not a drag racer I personally wouldn't do it. You can probable find a wheel you like in 4 lug even if you want to change.

Any time.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

From what I have been told, the 5 lug setup allows for rear rotors as opposed to drums. Hardened racing axles and much are more commonly available in a 5 bolt pattern. I had to special order my axles in a 4 bolt pattern. I can stop fine with the drums so it wasn't worth the change for me. I guess you could also say the 5 bolt pattern is more hearty, but I doubt that will an issue until you're pushing big HP or relying heavily on brakes....neither of which I am concerned about at this time.

-- Buzz Haze-Ottawa ON

87 5.0 LX Coupe
Buzz Haze

I think alot of it has to do with braking upgrades. Although I would think there would be 4 lug aftermarket stuff... It may be cheaper to just go five lug and use factory components from later mustangs. I dunno.

Reply to
Brent P

The reason I'm doing it is for good brakes. Open track is really hard on brakes and you can't get brakes that can handle that in 4 lug patterns unless you have an import. I don't know why but they just don't make them in

4 bolt ford patterns.
Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

I'm not sure where you got your information, but you're sadly mistaken.

Ford has a direct replacement 4-lug rear disc setup for around $700. Consider the costs of the 5-lug/4 disc conversion being a bare minimum of $1000 for a JY setup, and near to $2000 on a pre-built kit. Tack on another couple hundred for a used set of wheels, and another $400-1000 for tires - depending on your tastes (no Z rated tires that I've ever seen go for less than $600 after mounting & balancing). Lastly, you'll have to put in special spacers up front to keep your tires from rubbing the inner fenders ($20 tops), and another $60+ for an alignment job.

I've done the 5-lug/4 disc swap and let me tell you, it ain't easy, and it ain't pretty. There's a fair amount of customization that will have to be done depending on what route you choose for the rear. On top of that, as far as I know the only axles that are the same size as the axles on the Fox platform are the Ranger axles (using 2 driver's side, I believe), and they are a drum setup which as far as I know will not work with the disc setups from your other choices - being the Lincoln MKVII and SN-95.

But hey, all I have is pers>The reason I'm doing it is for good brakes. Open track is really hard on

Reply to
Matt

Reason I'm going to do it, is to fit the 95 cobra wheels on my 85, and to get the 13" brakes on my stang. Also, to change the rear to 8.8 instead of

7.5.
Reply to
Turbo1010

Actually I have the 4 to 5 lug and brake conversion kit from Ford/Steeda #161-M-2300K, price $2068 with 6% sales tax. We have already installed one set on a 91 convertible without any problems. The 4 lug Baer 12" disc brake kit is $1895 plus tax. So now all I need is wheels and tires which will be coming soon.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

You're comparing the price of a Ford kit with a Baer kit?

Bah... neverm>Actually I have the 4 to 5 lug and brake conversion kit from Ford/Steeda

Reply to
Matt

There are many reasons to do it. mainly to upgrade wheels, breaking and front end geometry.

Doing the 5 lug swap with SN-95 parts does all the above. Provides disk brakes for the rear, better geometry sn95 spindles for the frony and the choice of any sn95 wheel. The ford kit is exactly that, a sn-95 part swap. It comes complete so it's easy. The other route (the one I chose) is to get sn95 parts from a donor car, can end up cheeper but do the math first...Just don't forget to grab the MC from the donor car as it will have to be swapped also.

Post 87 cars are easier, pre-87 require the swap of 97+ struts to work.

Hope this helps,

Serge

Reply to
Serge

No the Baer kit is all that has brakes for 4 lug I can find. Brambo also but again about that price range.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

So you purchased Ford's 5 lug conversion kit from Steeda, yet you didn't happen to see Ford's 4 lug rear disc kit on the same page?

You know, the listing right above the Baer kit?

I'm not trying to be an ass (though it does come somewhat naturally), I just want to make sure our members don't get more of this misinformation.

Here's the link:

$750 and some change from Steeda. As usual, it's cheaper pretty much everywhere else on the Net.

Albeit, it's not a Baer or Brembo kit. It is, however, over a grand cheaper - and that grand is more than enough for better rotors & pads for the front - which is where you'll find most of your brake power derives from anyway.

Me? For the new coupe I'll be pick>No the Baer kit is all that has brakes for 4 lug I can find. Brambo also but

Reply to
Matt

Imagine if you will a road course with 16 turns and 5 straights. Now run it as fast as you can with average brakes and you should last perhaps a lap at best (probably about 5 turns). This is why I went to this basic platform, it that will allow for even better brakes in the future and as stated by someone else in this thread, this kit addresses some other handling problems found in the Fox bodied cars.

If I was drag racing or just a daily driver, I would stick with the stock brakes and better pads or perhaps change the rear to disc only and wouldn't care as they would be fine. I did see the 4 lug rear disc kit and it wouldn't fill my needs.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

But now you say:

My point is that for those who do NOT road race, nor need to stop at

140+ mph speeds, but would like improved brak>Imagine if you will a road course with 16 turns and 5 straights. Now run it
Reply to
Matt

What ever. I posted saying what I did and why.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon