Charlene is alive again - mystery solved!

I already looked it up before I replied to you. My ISP archives this group back at least a year.

Reply to
CobraJet

Man CJ, who stuck a burr up your butt? You haven't been this big a jerk in a long time.

So JD paid more for a pump than he should have, it's HIS money,HE worked his ass off for it and he can do whatever the hell he wants to with it. If he got peace of mind from dealing with this guy and a good feeling about supporting a local business then it's really none of your business. If he was spending YOUR money, then you would have the right to bitch about it.

Chill out for cryin out loud.

Kate

| > > So, JD, you got ripped off for the pump *and* the scanner. And the | > > labor. And the tows you paid for were suddenly covered by AAA. I smell | > > something foul. | >

| > You are correct on the fuel pump, but without knowing what scanner he | > bought it's imposible to tell if he got ripped off. He may have simply | > bought one with more features than he needs. I got the simplest one | > available a couple-four years ago, cost about $130 or so. Basically just | > cable and software. The next one up had alot more bells and whistles, | > was more than twice that. I'm sure things have changed since then, | > including newer low cost offerings carried by sears. | >

| > Also, the most impressive scanners are the manufacturer ones. Got to play | > with one those for dodge. The Sun one that replaced it when dodge wanted | > theirs back wasn't nearly as good, but it does more than the one I | > bought. Although that was at the dawn of OBD2... | >

| > He also mentioned triple A in his first post as I recall. | | Then why would he suddenly add in that cost? And why didn't Kate | stop drinking long enough to notice he already mentioned AAA? Maybe she | thought he said AA. | | -- | CobraJet | Thunder Snake #1

Reply to
SVTKate

Yeah, that was my point, if you checked it with a meter to see if it had power you wouldn't be any better off. Besides since you hear it running you know it has power. Really the only way to have cought that in the drive way is with a pressure guadge on the fuel rail.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

"workmen's comp alone costs this guy 1.2 million per year!"

For four employees? WTF?

I don't think you have your figures right...

Reply to
351CJ

I've never had a problem with you, but your mad-dog attacks remind me of Troy the Troll, and when Kate asked you to chill, you just had to badmouth her. That did it, I just had to stand up and tell you that you went over the line.

I had the Ralph Snart pseudonym for over 10 years, but gave it up last month when Marc Hansen of 'Ralph Snart Comics' polititely asked me to give it up because he's starting 'Ralph Snart' again. I did so willingly because he asked me nicely; something that you don't seem capable of doing.

The reasons for your attitude can be solve by simple medications - Prozac, Zoloft, Cyanide....please see your doctor soon. Preferably, Dr. Kevorkian.

Reply to
RowdyRebel

yep!!! that's the number of the amount they tried to sell me for a new fuel pump and install on a 1992 full size dodge van. and it was a dodge dealership!!!! they must think that you have to had a frontal done to hear those words and not get upset. they also tried to sell me on a "major tune up" for ONLY $438 too. i asked what do you do that makes it a "major tune up?" the representative started off with these words. first, we clean your injectors...........

the van was running ok, and as i decline there offers of over $ 1,100, i got into the van and started it. that's right......started it. with a bad fuel pump. i appeared the teeth were stripped off of inside and that by banging on the gas tank, caused the teeth to catch and lock together - to the time being.

i drove over to auto zone, bought a brand new fuel pump (fuel gauge sensor built into it) 2 year warranty for $129 and drove the van home. (another 30 miles - at highway interstate speeds - on this "bad" fuel pump)

i didn't even have to jack the van up off the ground because just the standard height of the van is high enough to be able to drop the tank with no trouble. whipped out the air socket wrench and unbolted the three bands that hold the gas tank in. pulled the gang electrical plug and gang fuel fuel and loosen the plastic retaining ring. that's it. total time for repair. less than 30 minutes. total cost of repair - $129. van ran fine. total savings from not having dealership do work.

$1,007 dollars

last dodge product ever had.

hope passing this information helps.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

Reply to
c palmer

Well, you can sit back down because I don't give a rat's ass who you choose to defend. Kate's post was hypocritical. I called her on it. She should have known better. SHe has dished it out to others many times before; did she suddenly need your help?

I was referring to Rowdy Rebel being stupid. Sounds like a Jap cartoon. I gave JD a chance to 'fess up. He made up more crap 'cuz he knew he was in a corner.

If your humor was any drier my screen would be sweating shale.

Reply to
CobraJet

I don't have a dog in this fight but damn if I haven't laughed more reading this thread than just about any other this year! I'm still laughing over the lubed violin remark. This is just another classic CJ rant. Chill out, relax and go with the flow. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I'm from the deep South. My co-worker call me 'Johnny Reb'. I'm also called 'Rowdy Reb' by my classmates at school (I'm getting a degree in Aviation -what are you doing with your free time?) due to my anti-athority attitude. So that's where the moniker came from. I'm glad you don't like it - I hope it gives you heartburn.

Ooooh, a funny!

Reply to
RowdyRebel

How 50's. Do you have a confederate flag on your front bumper? Get into your car through the open window? Is Daisy Mae your wife, sister, or both?

Assembling surface-to-air missiles.

If you think about Johnny Rebel, you *are* the anti and I *am* the authority. Care for a Tums?

Did you raise your pinky when you said, "Ooooh"? Got that Marilyn Monroe pucker-thing going?

Reply to
CobraJet

WindsorFox[SS] opined in news:M4Fdd.17608$%t3.1540@lakeread01:

well, gee, i dont know...

you tell me how the pump was running, no fuel pressure and high resistance (would think low/no current) in the pump circuit.

quote: "Apparently, the diagnosis was pretty simple: a quick check of fuel rail revealed ZERO pressure, and a code scan revealed something about high resistance in the fuel pump circuit. " unquote

Maybe the hum was the subwoofer amp cooling fans? ;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Fuel pump went out my 01 GT dealer fixed it for free lady in billing said it would have been over $500.

Reply to
pete

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news:w snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Almost as good as Thunder Alley. LOL!

Joe

Even if I were the target of CJ's wrath I would still have to laugh at some of his comments. Funny is funny whether you're the one getting roasted or not.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

No, that's way more markup. You think fordparts.com has no markup ? think again. If I were you I'd go back to the shop and complain. This is outrageous man.

If he has such good mechanics he should charge more for labor, not the parts !

Rein

yup, th eonly way to really know is to check fuelpressure on the rails.

Rein

Judging by threads I've read in rec.autos.tech that defend the mark up practice, the shops mark up from what they pay, which probably isn't that much different from what we pay. After all, he's not going to be buying ford mustang fuel pumps a 100 or more at a time to get a good discount. He's buying one at a time and get a discount because he buys alot of different parts, but I doubt it's all that much. Sure, he probably gets a good break on things he can buy in bulk like 5-30W motor oil, tire valve stems, etc...

Here is such a thread:

One relevant quote: From: -david.m.waller ( snipped-for-privacy@paprika.wh.att.com) Subject: Re: Mechanic's Markup Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech Date: 1996/11/05 "I balk at paying a mechanic $325 or $350 for a Bosch fuel pump when I can get the identical item for $157 through mail order"

The only way JD was going to save significant money was to do the job himself.

Reply to
Brent P

But you don't "know" what the story really is, because there are many different scenarios involved. The reason private shops *can* compete with the dealerships is because the margins are geared for competition. If this were not the case, the dealers would be the only ones in business.

No, you do not understand. There are WD's, which stand for Warehouse Distributor. These are multi-line vendors that exist only to provide wholesale pricing to the low-volume privateers. There are also retailers who have wholesale programs, such as Ford and NAPA. NO shops operating with a legal permit go to Ford and buy a part for list price and double the cost to the consumer. Such a shop would soon be out of business, and certainly wouldn't have the great reputation that JD's mythical place has. If the dealer has a part for 100 bucks list, then as a mechanic I can go in and buy it for 60-70 dollars (margins vary according to pricing from product manufacturers) and resell it to the customer for 90-95 dollars to keep him happy. That is how the game works. I've been in this biz for decades, and I also have friends with shops that are in the game.

No, he could have questioned this mechanic as to why the cost of the pump was so high. No *good* shop is any higher than the dealer. I think, if this story happened at all, that JD was marked as a patsy, given a sob story that he swallowed whole, and put out to pasture much to the bemusement of the rapists.

There are also any number of shops that will charge straight labor to install parts brought in with the customer, and still charge less than the $168 an hour that he got reamed for. Other posters here have made it clear that you could buy 3 aftermarket hi-po pumps for what he paid for a stock replacement. ..... OK, I just got off the phone with a friend who has a shop. He pays $3600 a year in workman's comp for 3 salaried mechanics. Against 450k in annual gross revenue, this represents .8%. To pay 1.2 million a year in comp for 4 employees, they would have to working on commission, and the shop would have to be grossing, uh, gee, it seems my calculator ran out of spaces.

For those of you smart enough to pay attention to what I say rather than how I say it: Ford contracts to Holley for stock pumps. Direct replacement Holley Mustang pumps are available online for somewhere around 100 bucks, circumventing the Ford dealer structure. For that price, it would be wise to keep one around just in case.

The lesson, as I've said a million times: DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Don't wait until CobraJet does it for you.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to order a backup pump for my Crown Vic.

Reply to
CobraJet

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news:yOednXqm6ac1T- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

nothing

classic

Definitely. And the best part is that he's usually correct. ;)

Joe

NAPA Fuel Pumps Fuel Pump (OE Electric In-Tank Type) Usually ships in 24 hours. NFPP74946M F8ZZ9H307BE $ 202.49

| > Making a fair profit is one thing, but 230% of retail is another, IMHO. | | Fordparts.com listed part# F8ZZ-9H307-BE as $284.63; I was actually charged | 443.58, a markup of about 55%, which is about average for most shops these days. | | I know the owner personally. He's having a hellova time making ends meet. He | employs 4 of the best mechanics you'll ever meet. They treated the car with | the utmost in respect: no greasy fingerprints or footprints anywhere - not | even on the fuel tank cover or rear bumper, and they had it fixed within an | hour and a half after they got the parts in, which they had to special order | from Reno, NV, 3 hours away. And they had it fixed and ready to go within

12 | hours of flatbedding it in. | | Hell, they didn't EVEN hot-rod it around the block, like the last moronic | dealership did. It had exactly one-tenth of a mile on the clock from start to | finish. That alone warrants my appreciation. | | Yes, he marked up the parts - every shop does to pay the bills, jeez, the | workmen's comp alone costs this guy 1.2 million per year! He can't even | afford to offer medical coverage for his employees; it's damn tough to be in | this business these days. I wouldn't want to do it, that's for sure. With | Pep Boys right down the street, he has quite an uphill battle on his hands. | He keeps customers around with SERVICE, and I don't mind paying a bit more for | that service. You get what you pay for - his exact words. | | Anyway, the thread was to be centered around the elusive diagnosis, not | Business Ethics 101. I'm just hopeful that everyone here will give the | independent shops a shot at their next repair, even if it costs a little more. | Everyone's always so concerned with price, and not with expert service these | days, and again, I still think you get what you pay for. | | -JD |
Reply to
SWG