Check engine light is off!?

I just got home from Sweden yesterday. I picked my car up and found that the CEL has stayed off for a whole month! I left the car with a friend who was trying to sell it for me and he drove it everyday back and forth between his home and his garage. He said the light went off and has stayed off.

Not sure if this is over or not, but I drove it twice and it still hasn't come back on yet. Only thing done was the vapor canister purge valve. Maybe all it took was a little time?

I remain hopeful. I'm having it smogged ASAP! LoL!

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

After you replaced the vapour management valve you did clear the code, right??? If not, there is a very real chance that the PCM might not even bother running the EVAP monitor until a great many number of drive cycles were completed.

This isn't magic, folks..... it is all computer logic.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I read about drive cycles and clearing the code after my mechanic cleared the code with one of those code readers. Isn't that enough?

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Yes, clearing the codes should have been enough to turn the light off..... the monitors complete on their own as we drive (providing the right consitions are met) with the EVAP monitor usually being the hardest one to complete (having the right conditions is harder to come by). There remains the possibility that dirt was trapped in the cannister vent solenoid keeping the PCM from putting the EVAP system into vacuum...

Good luck with the smog check.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Hmm... Thanks.

Well, I'm not having any luck. Had a little romp on the highway, and waddayaknow! It's baaaaaaaaaaaack. :-( This is the SECOND time it's come back on after giving the car some gas on the highway.

Never got there.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

CEL sets when you boogie down... hmmm... can you let me know the exact code?

Reply to
Jim Warman

P1443, same as a couple other people with 96-98 Mustangs on here. Dave Sibbett is one of them.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

OK..... I gotta ask this next one.... are any of those suffering from the code prone to filling their fuel tanks right to the rim?

Reply to
Jim Warman

What do you mean? Like topping off? Once the pump shuts off, I NEVER try and get a little extra.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

That's right and you may recall Daves problem was the purge control valve broken off from its mount, hanging there only supported by vacuum hoses. Because of the added weight stress, one of the hoses was kinked. Problem was resolved by resecuring with a tie-wrap. No more CEL. Did you check for that????

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

OK, we can rule out flooding the charcoal cannister with raw gas...

The next step is to follow Mikes advice.... remembering that the code definition is "incorrect flow" and not insufficient flow.... all the lines you are looking for should be under the hood and include the line from the intake manifold to the Purge Flow Sensor, on to the Vapour Management Valve (sometimes called the Purge Solenoid) and further on to the charcoal cannister. Check for kinks as well as cracks in the hoses and/or plastic lines.

Remeber, you only need to check the lines twixt intake and cannister and not the lines all the way back to the tank.

HTH.

Jim Warman

The valve is indeed hanging by hoses. But I didn't know it was supposed to be secured to anything, until I read about Dave's problem.

Where does it need to be secured?

Thanks, Mike.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Thanks again, Jim. First I'm going to pop the hood, as I haven't since I got back home Saturday.

When I have a look, I'll post what I find in detail.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

I assumed that it was supposed to mounted to the fender as I found a broken mount of some type made out of the same kind and color of plastic attached to the inner fender.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Sibbett

Well, I looked today and snapped a picture.

Kinda fuzzy but you get the idea what it looks like. I don't see mounting of any kind. And it is definitely hanging by hoses only. Did your situation look anything like this?

I always thought it was supposed to be like this. I read a post that said I would find the valve hanging by hoses (when I was searching for possible explanations for the code). *shrug*

Bleh! I will try anything at this point!

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

You have the same setup I have right down to the white piece of plastic on the inner fender that I assume is a mount of some sort.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Sibbett

Yes I did notice that plastic thing after I looked closely at the picture (which I took quickly).

Okie, I'll have that puppy remounted soon then. Thanks, Dave!

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

I figure thats what that plastic thing is but i'm not %100 sure. Being its the same color and type of plastic thats what my guess is. Can't see anything else that would go there though. Dave

Reply to
Dave Sibbett

No, nor do I. I think the hose was maybe glued to that thing. I can't seem to tell if it was broken or not.

Is there a way to reset the code without using a code reader? Disconnect battery, perhaps? Did you pay attention to drive cycles (all that stuff confused me when I read about it... too many details) or did you just get in and drive?

Although the valve appears to be hanging there in mid-air, the hoses are pretty stiff and I didn't see any kinks to speak of. I just can't imagine this will solve the problem! But try I will.

Thanks.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Logic says that you're right - fastening the thing to the fender won't solve anything. But what the hell, it's worth a try. Resetting the computer can be done by disconnecting the battery for a while, maybe a half hour or so. The biggest pain is resetting the clock and radio presets..

Joe Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies Black '03 Daktota 5.9 R/T CC

"Cindy" wrote in news:68zqc.34244$5a.32643@okepread03:

Reply to
Joe