Check Engine Light (my Case)

For a while now I like others in this group have been battling a case of CEL. I had the code pulled and it was p1443 which is for the evaporative control purge valve failure. I replaced the gas cap with no sucess. So I went out and bought a Haynes manual which showed me what this purge control valve looked like. Armed with this info I located the valve and traced any and all hose-vacume lines that may have been associated with the system. I reseated-connected them all with no sucess. 4/30 time ran out and I had to have the GTS inspected (PA state yearly). and naturally it failed because of the code.In Pa the car has to run atleast 1 obt2 drive cycle with out throwing a code to pass.My mechanic checked the system out and found this. The purge control valve had been broken off its mount and was hanging by the intake and output rubber hose's there by kinking the input hose at the point where it exits the passenger side wheel well. he remounted it with a cable tie and ran the car thru 4 drive cycle's on the dyno with out a hitch. As soon as he let it hang again the light came on again. Problem solved . For those of you with the P1443 problem check the black rubber hose with a red stripe for kinks you might get as lucky as I did.

Dave

96 GTS with a few extras
Reply to
Dave Sibbett

Could you tell if the mounting integrity of the control valve presents a possible design problem or do you think this was an isolated case??? There has to be a reason for it breaking off obviously...Just curious...

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Holy crap! I didn't know it was supposed to be mounted to anything! I thought was just supposed to hang there?? Mine is hanging by the rubber hoses, too.

he remounted it with a cable

Hm. Kinked hose, eh? HA! I couldn't get that lucky. Man I can't wait to get home to check this stuff out!

Very interesting find, though. Thanks, Dave! I did read in Google archives that if you install the vapor canister purge valve upside down, that will solve the CEL problem, too. *shrug*

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Thanks for the info Dave, I too will have a look at mine and see what I can find. I'll let you know.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Longtime lurker. Bless you if that's all it is. I've been meaning to get around to dealing with this code. I'll have to check it out.

Larry M. '96 GT

Reply to
Larry M.