Check engine light on 89 LX 5.0

Hi

Lately my check engine light has been coming on for short periods. It comes on, then goes away, then comes on again. Otherwise the car runs fine. What could it be? I suppose I should see if any codes are being reported.

Fred

89 LX 5.0
Reply to
Fred V.

There are some cheapo code readers for the OBDI (pre '96) cars. You might buy one and check your codes. OR, go to AutoZone and they will read it for free. Of course they would like to sell you the part that their code reader says it will need, I'm GUESSTIMATING an oxygen sensor. That, or a hundred other parts......

Reply to
Kruse

I have a '91 5.0L and mine does this a lot. After reading the codes, it gave me a bad oxygen sensor. After a while these cars start to burn oil, which in turn starts to clog the O2 sensor. It's not a whole lot to worry about as long as you keep an eye on the oil level. It will however continue to get worse. I have heard instances of these cars going through a quart of oil every 500 miles. I don't know the long term solution for this as mine hasn't gotten that bad yet.

CBeech

Reply to
CBeech

Get the the codes read, then bring them back here. or to alt.autos.ford

The actual codes... not what the counter-guy says they mean

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

What do you mean gave you a "bad O2 sensor"?

Only the codes related to sensor heater, or slow switching times relate to a bad sensor. And on a 91, that could well be the the case, if it's burning oil for, say, the last 50,000. New sensors will clear that up for many more thousands of miles. And should improve economy and power some.

If they referred to Rich/Lean, however, that does not point to sensor.... and that is exactly why the guy should bring the codes, themselves.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

if going through a quart every 500 miles, think REBUILD.....

Reply to
Eric G

Hi again

Ok I ran the codes and here is my report:

KOEO test: 11 (no problems) KOER test: 12 (but it did not flash the sequence twice, only once. I repeated the KOER test and got the same result: 12 once.)

Fred

89LX 5.0
Reply to
Fred V.

Nah. "Personality."

(or rear main seal...)

As a matter of fact, TFrog used to need a quart every 1,000 miles or so. Since the recent replacement of the rear main seal, it hasn't needed any "refresh" between oil changes.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Hi group

Found the problem. I took off the hose from the air cleaner to the throttle body and found the throttle plate very dirty. After a thorough cleaning the idle went way up. This was probably from me fooling with the base idle screw over the years. Then I cleaned the idle air bypass valve (also very dirty but not stuck). Finally I reset the base idle and TPS voltage. Now the motor purrs like a kitten!.

Reply to
Fred V.