Check engine light on 96 V6

My CEL seems to have a mind of it's own these days...

It'a a 96 V6 Vert with maybe 90,000 miles. Mods have been the usual: de-posted the MAF, CAI, pulleys, 2" dual exhaust.

When I fill up with gas it goes on after about 10 minutes of running time. Then once it's a little over 1/2 a tank, it goes off, and stays off until I fill up again (usually just about 1/8 of a tank - habit...) If Ilet it go to almost empty, it goes on at that point.

This has been happening like clockwork for a few tanks of gas recently. I have already changed the gas cap - heard about that one a while ago. Nothing has changed recently and the car seems to run fine regardless

I've reset the computer a couple of times, and it goes on with 30 minutes of running time. then follows the same routine.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

Keith

Reply to
KB

at 09 Nov 2003, KB [ snipped-for-privacy@nospam.home.com] wrote in news:Pyurb.1153$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

Find out what the code is. Part stores like eg. AutoZone, do this for free. DOn't let them sell you any parts as they use el cheapo readers that may not always be right. But getting a code and posting it here may get you some pointers to possible causes...

Reply to
Paul

We don't have Autozone around here (north of Toronto, Canada) nor Pep Boys or any of the other US parts chains (damn!).

Anyone know where I could get the code read in my area? (Newmarket - Barrie, Ontario)

Thanks Keith

Reply to
KB

If you find that no one will read it for free, note that the Equus code reader is about $120 shipped online. I have one in my tool cabinet, if you were local I'd say come on over and bring some beer and we'd read your code.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

I would suggest a new gas cap, that and clean your MAF

Kate

| > Anyone know where I could get the code read in my area? (Newmarket - Barrie, | > Ontario) | | If you find that no one will read it for free, note that the | Equus code reader is about $120 shipped online. I have one in | my tool cabinet, if you were local I'd say come on over and | bring some beer and we'd read your code. | | Dana

Reply to
SVTKate