Chip Question

Easy question time.

I am installing a supercharger kit that includes a computer chip.

The builder hasn't seen a computer with my ID number, so I had to mail it in to them.

My question is, Is there an OEM chip that will be yanked to install this new chip.

To put it another way, Do I have to yell at them to send me the original chip (in case I want to put it back to stock some day), or would they only laugh at me because the chip is an add-on part that doesn't replace anything.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

The chip is an "add-on" which plugs into the PCM's service port.

Reply to
Mike King

Thanks, now I don't have to sound like an idiot. So if I go back to the stock setup, I pull the chip and that's it.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

Reply to
Mike King

02 GT
Reply to
John Shepardson

Yes, you can pull the chip if you get put the motor back to stock.

Ronnie in Chesapeake

95gt w/aode, s-trim

John Shepards> Thanks, now I don't have to sound like an idiot. So if I go back to the

Reply to
L&R

Ronnie I note that you have a s-trim supercharger on your '95. I am looking at installing a supercharger on my '94 and wanted to know what other internal modifications might be advisable. Also, do you have 1/4 times with the s-trim?

Reply to
Richard

Do yourself a favor and get it dyno tuned by someone you can trust. Also make sure they meter the air/fuel ratio during the tuning sessions. You don't want to loose the motor in your new car because the tune supplied by the mail order chip "should" have been ok.

Reply to
Bard

Richard, when I did the head/cam/intake swap everything was fine. Car ran a best of 13.03, I think in the 1/4. But with only low 40K miles, putting the blower on gave me terrible blow by. The motor looked good when taken down for a rebuild too. From looking at the inside of it, and a couple years of surfing the corral, my theory is that the 94/95's seem to be the worst for the blowby. I guess they used crappy rings or ring clearances in those years. So, if you want to throw boost to the motor, your wallet needs to be prepared for blow by, and a rebuild. I went with lower compression pistons on mine, but due to not being financially prepared for this, I kept the factory rods. I had them balanced and used ARP bolts. They, and the block are the only things left from the factory under the hood. Anyhow, fastforwarding, I haven't been to the track yet this year because of another round of mods, and now waiting for a friend of mine to re tune "Christine" using the new SCT software. I need to fed ex my autologic chip to Chris Johnson, who will download all the settings in it, fax them back to Ed Clark. Then, we will take it out on a back road and tune the a/f's, while keep most of the other previous settings. Last season it went 7.29 in the 1/8, with the valve springs floating badly. Multiply that by 1.56, that would give about an 11.40 ballpark 1/4 time. It had consistent 1.61 short times on the DR's that night. I have since had the Edelbrock heads mildly ported, new valve springs installed, the rpm intake ported, and sent the converter back to get it loosened up, just a tad. So, if I don't split the block, and the drag radials hold, I don't see why I wouldn't see some 6.90's in the 1/8. That should translate to very high 10's in the quarter. With 4.10's in my car, short tires, and the fact that I don't want to rev the motor over 6,000(to hopefully keep the rods in it), I can't make it to the finish line in the 1/4 without overrevving it. I would have to back the gearing off some. But, I and some friends have become addicted to the 1/8.

Ronnie in Chesapeake

95gt/aode, s-trim 7.29 in the 1/8, so far

Richard wrote:

Reply to
L&R

IIRC aren't you installing a Kenne Bell supercharger? If so KB probably needs to download the data from your computer so they can change the right parameters. I've heard other Mustang owners say they had to do the same. They're good about getting it back to you quickly. You should be able to remove the chip and return everything back to stock condition.

Let us know how the car runs when you get a chance to drive it.

John Shepards> Easy question time.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Yup, I am the amateur that is installing my own KB supercharger.

I will probably make a website about my adventure when I am done.

It will be at

I have 3 pics up there now. 2 that show the labels before the install, and my brilliant method for getting the hood out of the way without undoing any bolts.

And yes, I did have to send my computer to KB. Hopefully the kit and computer will be back by the 6th of Nov. or so.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

Thanks for the input. I had the feeling that the 94-95's might not be the right model year(s) to play with. Sounds like the best option might be to sell the motor and install a custom built performance crate motor.

Reply to
Richard