Chip / Tune Question

I fear I may reveal the fact that I'm not too sharp here, but the truth will set me free.

If you buy a supercharger kit that has a chip in it, and then you have a performance shop tune the car after the supercharger is installed;

Does the tuning process change the data in the chip?

If it does, then why would a kit include a chip?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

The new tune will override the old one. Depending on the tuner, they may be able to reburn the KB chip or they may need to use their own proprietary chip. KB includes the chip so the kit they sell is complete. From what I've read their chips have a conservative tune to keep the engine from being damaged due to detonation. They typically are set up to run rich and to limit timing. Sometimes they will give a credit for deleted items but you'll need the chip to drive the car to a tuner. Their kit replaces the fuel injectors so the car probably isn't drivable with the stock computer controlling things.

One thing to keep in mind is that the KB kit seems to make very big hp/torque numbers. A 9 psi, intercooled kit with typical bolt-on mods like exhaust, large throttle body, large MAF, cold air intake and a chip with an aggressive tune you could end up with 450+ rwhp/rwtq. This might be pushing the limit for the stock rods. Unfortunately there aren't enough kits installed with sufficient running time to see where the breaking point is for the type of torque these kits produce.

BTW, you made a good choice for a positive displacement type blower. Over the next years I can't wait to see what Mustangs owners can accomplish with it. IMO, it should support between 550-600 rwhp and the same amount of torque.

John Shepards> I fear I may reveal the fact that I'm not too sharp here, but the truth

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Forget it, you are in a different league than me. I bought the car new a year ago and I am trying to be very cautious while adding hp. I went with the 6psi kit. If it gets 325 or 350 hp, that's it for me. It will be my muscle car, not my dragster.

I want it tuned on the conservative side.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

The 6 psi kit should be good for 340-350 rwhp. That is a very safe power level for a stock 4.6L engine. If you want to go conservative then I would recommend using the chip supplied from KB. The KB is going to give you boat loads of muscle car type torque.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Wait a second. Every one says you gotta get it tuned to make sure it is running right or you will detonate. Are you saying it won't need a tune?

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

The odds of detonation being a big problem at 6 psi of boost is minimal. It looks like KB's chips are burned with conservative fuel and timing settings. I would recommend using the KB chip and if it runs well with it then I wouldn't waste the money on another one. You should put the car on a dyno after the blower is installed and get a couple of pulls while logging the air/fuel ratio. Then fax the printouts to KB and have them determine if you need a reburn. If they see something they don't like they should reburn the chip for free.

I would recommend a dyno tune if you want to squeeze every last hp out or if you're going to run double digit boost levels.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Yes.

The chip is programmed to work with the kit. A Chip tuner (such as FordChip.com), can optimize the chip's program. The best way to optimize the program is to have your car running on a Dyno while the chip tuner does his magic.

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, GT-40 heads, 73mm C&L MAF, HyperTech Chip, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, King Cobra Clutch, Steeda Quandrant, BBK Strut Tower Brace,40 Series Deltas, Koni's w/Coil Overs, and some kinda "Wild Assed Cam"(??) !

Check out the Ford Engine Heaven!

Katmandu