Chysler Hemi; A disaster?

It will explode if any horsepower mods are done. Bottom end is weak. Will last a whole 150,000 miles max, according to Mopar Magazine. Confirmed by Chrysler, more or less. Meanwhile, the vaunted cylinder cut off system designed to increase fuel economy is netting....about 15mpg average.

Reply to
Richard

Gee, I guess that's bad news to all the Hemi's out there that are putting out 7,000 horsepower.

Somebody better tell them they can't be modified :)

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

My 98 GT puts out 10,000HP. I win.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I guess that explains the rash recent mishaps you done been havin wit it.

10,000 horses will do that you know!

Dave Sibbett

Reply to
Deputy Dog

Horse hockey. You can't "predict" how many miles in 15 years an engine will last when it's been out for 2 or 3 years.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Richard opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

What do you want to bet that if they handed the potential buyer a card stating just that, but promised the standard warranty it wont make any difference.

my freakin 82 Escort was a Hemi... I never was impressed once I figgered out engine metrics

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

That "Hemi" is actually a Mercedes engine and they make very few car engines that last less than 200k miles.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Your Escort came with a Chrysler engine in it ?

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Cite please....or shall we write this off as a troll?

Reply to
Iggy

But I don't think MB can claim all of that. I believe the major technical points involving the "Hemi" belong to Chrysler. This and the original slant 6 were two big reasons MB wanted to get their mitts on Chrysler.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

..... "Horse Hockey" ...????

LMAO!

Reply to
SVTKate

There were many auto makers utilizing a variation of the hemispherical combustion chamber design. Most modern multivalve engines use it. Chrysler was the first to use it as a marketing ploy.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

FYI: The first two generations (1951-58,1964-71) of the Chrysler Hemi V-8 were genuinely ground- and record-breaking designs. Chrysler didn't invent the Hemi engine; there is documentation of the design dating back to 1903. In subsequent years a variety of names associated with high performance used the Hemi design, including Duesenberg, Stutz and Offenhauser. By 1971, its last year, the one major fault with the design had reared its ugly head -- exhaust emissions.

The hemispherical shape of the combusti>

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

Rich,

Where did you read these lies?

Right! That's why PHR (been known to be a little GM biased) wrote this:

"We're avid Chevy fans and have owned many Chevy vehicles over the years, but this 5.7 Hemi has totally convinced us our next truck just has to be a Hemi-powered Dodge."

Reply to
Patrick

Horse Hockey. A phrase brought to fruition by Colonel Sherman T. Potter, MASH 4077.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Well, they were pretty much the first to use it at all I believe.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

The 1913 Pathfinder was a Hemi. That might predate Chrysler's:) BTW: It was not a Nissan, it was built un Indiana by an aircraft company. Built 1912 to

1917. There were many other early Hemi's.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Patrick, thanks for some truth amidst all the fiction.

Joe