Classic example of car buying scam

Hi All, I hope everyone is up on the money order/check mailed to you to buy your car scam. Here is a great example of one trying to buy our 68 Coupe we have for sale:

Begin Quote: Thanks for the detail please could you send me the picture of the car, i bank on you for the working condition of the car, as regard to the payment and delivery of the car, A check will be sent to you in the amount of $17,300 but mind you, you are going to deduct the amount of the car which is $11,000 as soon as you received the payment and wire the excess funds of $6,300 through western union money transfer to my freight cargo company in Miami Florida that will be responsible for the pick up immediately two of you i.e (you and the cargo company) agree on a convenience day and time for the pick up to be carry out in the location where the property is. The name of the senior officer i.e. Accountant that you will send the funds in care will be sent to you as soon as you confirm recepit of the payment.confirm this and forward your FULL NAME, ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER so that the payment can be delivered to you as soon as possible, Thanks God bless

Sixty8kr wrote: Betty, Bottom dollar is $11000 and the motor is a 289 bored 30 over. As for the condition, if you would like some pictures I can send some your way.

Thanks, Chris ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 12:36 PM Subject: Your mustangdreams.com ad for 1968 Coupe

> This interested buyer is a private party who saw your ad at >
> > We pay for site maintenance. Your contribution in any amount is > appreciated. . Also, please see fraud alert, below! > __________________________________________________ ____________________ l > am Betty Micheal,i saw your advert and i am intrested in buying the 1968 > Ford Mustang Coupe you have advertise. ls it still for sale and what is > your last price and please let know more about the condition of the car i > mean the engine capacity.

End Quote

You would have live under a rock to fall for this.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Sixty8kr

Wonder what would happen if you insisted they reverse that process... send the check to the freighter and have him pay you cash on pickup.

Bwa-ha-ha!

Sixty8kr opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I sort of did that. I told(wrote), send your representitive with $11000 cash and they an take immediate delivery of the car. I havent received a response yet, but somehow I don't think I'll be getrting one.

Reply to
Sixty8kr

You are going to drive over there after you get the check, right?

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I don't get it. You wouldn't wire money anywhere until you had the full amount plus, agreed on sitting free and clear in your account, right?

Reply to
Mark

No, you wouldn't wire the money even then. That's exactly how the scam works; you cash the "certified check", wire the balance to someone else, and a week or two later the bank discovers the certified check was phony, and debits your account the amount of the check. You're left holding the bag.

From

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

What if you waited the appropriate amount of time for the check to clear before wiring any money off.

Reply to
Mark

at 31 Dec 2004, Mark [ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net] wrote in news:ileBd.309871$HA.200830@attbi_s01:

That would be 3 to 4 weeks. Which is how I would do it. But chances are

99.99% that the check won't clear anyway...
Reply to
Paul

Paul wrote in news:Xns95D076B304BA3parrotpapa@65.32.5.121:

It can be as much as 90 days for a certified or cashier's check to be determined fraudulent, maybe longer if it's written on a foreign bank.

The scam works because most folks think a week or two is sufficient.

Reply to
XS11E

And if the check doesn't clear, the seller ends up responsible to the bank for the loss.

When I sold my 66 FB, I had such offers from all over. Spelling was bad in most. Most were overseas. There was no question as to the price, or even a inquiry for more information regarding condition, nor request for photos. Then they offer more than I am asking, whether covering shipping is mentioned or not.

Maybe I have a suspicious nature, but there were alarms go>at 31 Dec 2004, Mark [ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net] wrote in

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

It can take 4-6 weeks or even longer. So simply refuse to deal in such terms; insist on a true cash instrument, but do not, under any circumstances, disclose any information about your own bank accounts (they'll ask for the information for a wire transfer; refuse to do so). I *think* a Western Union transfer - where you are handed cash - is probably safe, but do research on it.

If you insist on real money, the offers will evaporate. I have a friend in the small inn business, he gets emails all the time for a 10-20 night reservation from an overseas agent, they offer to pay in advance with a certified check. The scam is, the "traveler" will never appear, and they'll ask for a refund of the pre-payment less a deposit. Insist on cash or credit card and they disappear.

Thieves.

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

That sucks! It makes you wonder if that nice fellow buying your car is handing you a real cashiers check, but what can you do? It's not always feasable to ask for cash, especially large amounts.

Reply to
Mark

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Considering they'd have to get a certified or cashiers cheque at a "bank"... getting cash wouldn't be too much to ask. But of course they'd just have some BS story about already having the check.. yadayadayada

Reply to
Jafo

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

If the bank accepts the cash it's on them.

Reply to
Mark

Wrong! they have 90days to charge ya back.

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

On cash? Comon.

Reply to
Mark

Hell yeah, any deposit is subject to verification and validation. If it goes undetected or unresolved for 90 days its yours.

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog