Cleaning a convertible top

What do you guys use to clean your convertible tops?

Reply to
Jay Honeck

Jay, what the hell are you doing here on a Mustang NG; I thought that you only hung out on the Aviation NG's?

Welcome to RAMFM - we're usually a good bunch of people. the convertible queen of the NG is SVTKate - if it pertains to convertible tops, she is in the know!

BTW, what's a gallon of 110LL AVGAS going for these days?

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Ralph? What the hell are YOU doing over here? :-)

It's a long story, but suffice it to say that after working without pay for almost two years at the hotel, Mary deserved a nice birthday present. So, we found her a nice 2000 Mustang Cobra clone (everything but the engine) convertible for her to buzz around town in.

I'll look forward to hearing her answer. I have no idea how to clean a rag top!

Blue skies -- and, hey, what kind of a Mustang do you have?

(BTW: 100 LL is over $3.00 per gallon here now. Luckily, we get to burn that sweet 87 octane mogas in our plane -- for around $1.92! :-)

Reply to
Jay Honeck

I live here! Actually, I'm restoring a '67 Convertible (project on hold d/t my wife's illness) and drive a 2002 ragtop.

Nice! You'll get a lot of good info from this NG.

convertible

2002 Mustang GT ragtop. check out my website (link below); I've got a couple of pics there of it, myself and my wife and a few of my life's stories (caution, they're not for everyone).

Whatcha flying? C-172 with a continental?

I'm picking up a part time job to help me save for a Piper Cherokee - once my Mustang is paid off, I'll get a '64-'69 Cherokee and hanger it at 3V5 - as if I don't have enough things draining my wallet!

Reply to
Ralph Snart

I use the RaggTop kit. Includes a cleaner and a protectant. Works great! Non oil based, doesn't affect paint if you overspray.

The kit is a good deal: $24.95 for both.

Scudder

Sorry to hear your wife is ill. My wife's dad had a '69 Mustang Mach I -- which is one reason it's a car she's always wanted. If I could have found an old one, I'd have probably bought it.

Still the '00 is very, very nice. Some dumb sh*t previous owner went to great lengths to make this car into a Cobra clone, including racing wheels and tires, frame stiffening, after-market dual caliper disk brakes, cosmetic upgrades galore, and an absolute kick-ass stereo system -- but he left the

3.8 liter six-cylinder engine untouched.

As a result, no "real" Mustang collector wanted it, and it sat on a specialty-car dealer's lot for four months. Thus, we ended up getting a really good deal on a terrific, low mileage car -- and I couldn't car less if it's got the six or the eight in it. :-)

Of course, now I'm starting to tweak it (I just can't help myself!). I just put the K&N air filter in tonight, hoping to get those extra 6 horsepower they promise! (Whoopee!) If we keep it long-term, I can see dropping the

8-cylinder engine into it at some point.

Re: Airplanes. We own a '74 Piper Pathfinder (Cherokee 235), with a 540 cubic inch, six cylinder engine. It's an awesome plane, with 140 knot speed, a 1460 pound useful load, a new engine, new interior, and good avionics. It'll walk away from an Arrow, is just as fast as an early Bonanza, can fly to Texas without refueling, can carry four full-sized men, plus 200 pounds of luggage, WITH full tanks (84 gallons) -- and it burns that sweet, cheap car gas!

It's everything a Cherokee should (could?) be. It's a shame they don't make it anymore. (It became the Dakota in '76.) When you get around to buying a Cherokee, check 'em out. (Look for the post-'73 models, with the 5-inch fuselage stretch. It makes a world of difference.)

Thanks for the website.

Reply to
Jay Honeck

thanks scudder I might just try this stuff and it's cheap too. lol cobraboy 97 convert

Reply to
cobra boy

Jay

"car wash" soap and water. Out of the sun. Soft brush if needed to clean off bird droppings and other sticky debris.

Yes I am familiar with you from aviation NG's

Howard '89 LX 5.0 vert C182P (Cherokee 235 with wing where it doesn't obstruct vision)

Reply to
Howard Nelson

Funny you bring that up. We park at our hotel every day (naturally), and have several large trees near the lot.

These trees obviously demark a "bombing range" for every known type of bird, and it seems that I'm cleaning bird turds off the new 'Stang every day.

MORE amazingly, they seem to have unerring accuracy when it comes to hitting the convertible top.

I picked up some "Blue Magic" convertible top cleaner that seems to work well. I just wet a diaper with the stuff, and lightly scrub the turd off. I then wipe overall with a damp cloth, and all is well again.

Tell me that when you're turning base-to-final someday! :-)

Reply to
Jay Honeck

HI Jay, I have a white on white Cobra and I'll tell you, the best way you can keep your top clean is never put it up and keep the boot over it!

I have tried everything from professional cleaners to Meguiars and I am still looking for something that really truly works.

So far, the best thing I have found is Simple Green. If you apply directly to the top then use a scrub brush with a terry cloth towekk wrapped over the bristles you will get pretty good results. I have yet to find anything that prevents the creases and dark spots that they all get though and it is kind of discouraging.

Good luck to ya! If you find a miracle cleaner, please post it!

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top
Reply to
SVTKate

LMAO! Thanks Ralphie! I wish that wasn't a lie.

Kate

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

One other bit of advice Jay, buy a car cover for it. At first everyone will tease you, but they'll get over it eventually. What color is your top?

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Hi Kate,

I figured I'd cover it in winter (I plan on storing it in winter). Is there any other reason for one, if we keep it in a garage?

It's a black top on a red car. (See it at

) I can getspots out pretty well (bird turds, mostly) using a special convertible topcleaner I bought at a local auto parts store -- but it then looks spottywhen I'm done.

I suppose the solution is to wash the whole thing -- but what a pain THAT would be, for just a couple of spots!

Thanks for your advice...

Reply to
Jay Honeck

Jay, the bird shit would be enough reason to put a cover on it, but placing a cover on your car will prolong the top's life by reducing the UV radiation that hits it. You know how our beloved aircraft seats fade, dry out and crumble after years of being exposed to sunlight? The same happens to our 'vert tops, but much more rapidly.

Is that the infamous 'grape ape' in the background in the last pic? I haven't thought of it in at least a year.

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Yep, that's the Mighty Grape. That thing has saved me over $3K in fuel alone...

Thanks for the info on convertibles. What do they cost to replace?

Seems like a good thing to know -- kinda like TBO on your engine...

Reply to
Jay Honeck

That's the ticket. I pay somebody about $700 every couple of years to clean my convertible top.

By replacing it.

dwight

dwight