cleaning out gas tank

what is a good way to clean out the tank of my 67 Coupe ? it has had gas go bad in it. Too bad I can't run AVGAS in this, would not have this problem. Matt Gunsch, A&P,IA,Private Pilot Riding member of the 2003 world champion drill team Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Reply to
N329DF

------------------------

How bad did the gas get? How old? Is the tank still in the car? If it's not too bad and the tank is still in the car, just syphon the bad gas out with a hose, and put as much fresh gas back in as possible. Even if a small bit of bad gas is left in the tank, the fresh gas will dillute it and the engine should run. But... what about the fuel line and carburetor? After you put fresh fuel in the tank, disconnect the fuel line at the carb, stick a hose on the end of it and direct it into an old can, then crank the engine so that the fuel pump purges out the bad gas from the line. You might need to crank the engine a decent amount to get all the bad fuel out... keep a battery charger handy. You may even want to do a simple fuel pump pressure and volume check at this time just to make sure that the fuel line is gummed up , and that the pump is ok. Then simply get as much of the bad fuel out of the carb bowl as possible... (I'm not familiar with the carb you have so not sure of the easiest way to get the fuel out of the bowl). Then hook everything up and crank away.... hopefully it starts. If not, the carb internals may be gummed up. Rebuild the carb and clean everything really well. I took apart a motorcycle once that was sitting for probably 10 years with gas in it... oh boy, what a mess... the carb internals were all plugged up with a thick gum... it was a nightmare, but finally got it running. When I store vehicles for long periods, I put in about 3/4 tank of fresh fuel, then add an appropriate amount of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer. Then, once a year I will syphon out about half a tank of the fuel and feed this "old" fuel into one of my other daily-driver cars, then will refill the tank on the stored car with fresh fuel again and add more Sta-Bil. I've never had a problem. Some people like to drain all the fuel out of their stored vehicles, but then you can have condensation and resulting rust inside the tank and other problems.

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

The Eastwood Company sells a kits that cleans and seals gas tanks. Here's the link...

A new tank is only about $100.00, btw.

Reply to
Mustang_66

My neighbor is into vintage Mustangs and I thought I remember him saying that most radiator shops can clean gas tanks. But if a new one can be purchased for $100.....seems like a new one would be on order.

Reply to
David C. Johnson

Let me take a break from me GM fantasy and contribute something meaningful for a day.

If your gas has gone really bad in your tank, it has also gone really bad in your carburetor and in your fuel line and most importantly in your mechanical fuel pump!

As you clean out the tank, gunk will probably re-enter your fuel line and torment you for months. How do I know you ask? First hand experience with a 67 Mustang I owned a while ago.

Cure? Take the tank out and clean thoroughly or replace. Replace the sending unit. While the line is removed from the carb, the mechanical fuel pump, and the tank use an electric pump to force clean gas through the 2 lines for a long time till the lines are clean! Rebuild your carburetor while you are at it. Replace the mechanical fuel pump with a better after market pump or work in an efficient electric pump.

Just my 2 cents. Now to get back to my H2 and 2005 Corvette dreams!

-- _______________________________________ "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: The chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

Reply to
Just Me "Koi"