cleaning the engine

Just wondering, 2002 gt, motor has some dust on it and minor dirt. Can I just take it to a local carwash and steam it, or do I need to worry about getting anything wet under the hood. Maybe any other options?

Doglips

Reply to
Doglips

I've been blasting my 5.0L engine at the car wash regularly for the last

12 years with no problems. I usually spray it with a can of eng> Just wondering, 2002 gt, motor has some dust on it and minor dirt. Can I
Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Simple Green. Cover the alternator with a plastic bag (obviously, don't do this on a hot engine :-) spray the engine liberally with Simple Green, let it sit a few minutes, and hose it off. Remove the bag, and you're done.

take care, Scott

Reply to
Scott Stevenson

generally the engine is going to be hot ..... I have sprayed on the entire engine about 5 times since I bought my car....until someone told me I shouldn't do it ... glad to hear that it won't cause any problems ...

Reply to
Silver Stang

Watch out for the plug wells...... if you blast away with the pressure wand you can force water past the COPs and boots. These little puppies aren't cheap and be a real source of headaches. They don't seal good enough to keep the water out but they seal good enough to keep it in.

Jim Warman

Thank you Jim - you took the words right out of my mouth. The plug wells are a headache for me. Water WILL collect in them, no matter how well they're insulated or avoided.

When you're done washing, pull each plug boot out and hit it with some compressed air to blow the water out and dry the plug base, otherwise you'll end up with a rusty, gooey mess and possibly arcing problems. Also, on the modulars, water collects in the ridges of the intake manifold- blow this out as well.

I prefer to do this at home, using cool water under normal garden hose pressure, after spraying lightly with Simple Green. Don't use a pressure wash if you don't have to, and avoid the alternator and distributor if you can. When finished, use a bit of Vinylex on the underhood plastic and rubber parts.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Note: Due to SPAM problems, I can only accept mail from those known to me. See my website for details.

Reply to
JD Adams

One guy on the Corral.net posted that he sprays his engine with WD40 and lets it drip dry, so to speek. Then just wipes the hoses to give them a shine. Anyone else try this?

Reply to
GILL

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I use a waterbase degreaser (PRO Products) let it sit a minute or three, then just hit it with a waterhose that has a bit of pressure behind it. I then use an airhose to blow out any puddles and finish up by using a non-silicone dressing that makes everything rubber and plastic stay nice and fresh.

I do this about once a month, and I always get compliments on how nice and new my engine looks.

Kate

| > Doglips | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

I use Simple Green as well to remove dust/dirt from the engine compartment. Readily available and won't hurt the paint, lawn, animals, etc.etc. and is eco friendly.

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy

Thanks for all the info, I guess I will stick with a spray cleaner and the water hose and a blow dry in the driveway.

Doglips

Reply to
Doglips

why a non silicon dressing, for rubber would you not want a silicon dressing?

Doglips

Reply to
Doglips

Silicone hastens the aging process in rubber. Its best to use something that is silicone-free. Vinylex works very well, and is silicone-free.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Note: Due to SPAM problems, I can only accept mail from those known to me. See my website for details.

Reply to
JD Adams

thanks I will look for some

Doglips

Reply to
Doglips

I wouldn't use WD-40 as an overall cleaner, just because the oily film it leaves behind will attract dirt, and cause an oily mud to be on the engine.

Use a degreaser, spray it down with pressure washer, and then when it is dry, if you want that showroom look, get a can of "No Touch" tire dressing and spray the whole thing down. It leaves the rubber and plastic looking showroom fresh !

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

IIRC, the point the guys were discusing was that cleaning with degreasers and water may wash the grease from some of the pullies. Leading to premature failures. This was in a mod motor forum btw.

Reply to
GILL

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE