Clear plastic shields

Anyone ever tried those clear plastic things you put on the hood and headlights to prevent paint chips?

Any sources? Pre cut? Bulk? TIA

Norm

Norm:

not exactly sure what kind of "clear plastic things" you refer to, but my experieces:

several cars, tried a molded lexan or plexiglass wind-dam sort of thing that was supposed to divert dirt and stones from the windshield (and also covered several inches of the front of the hood). yeah, they diverted a negligible amount of debris from the windshield. they also made the wipers float at speed .....then, I found out that you cure the floating wipers with heavy duty springs to hold them down.......then I found out that wears out the wiper motor. enough of that.

, for my '06 Mustang: got the "factory approved" bra set-up......the most miserably designed, hard to install monstrosity I've ever encountered. Took over an hour to get it on BUT.....a very tailored installation and looks pretty good. after a year and a half, it hasn't abraided the paint underneath.

that left the headlights which look very vulnerable.....and expensive. when I got the car I went online and ordered catalogs from every vendor who claimed to have '05 and up accessories. got a bunch of catalogs that didn't have anything for the new model. so I hit eBay......several vendors selling molded plastic headlight covers.....but after 2 months of trying, nobuddy had clear ones, just blue,smoked, bronze,red,etc.

so finally, just bought a set from another vendor on eBay of self-adhesive mylar film covers. at $14.95 they were horrbly overpriced for what they are, but they did arrive pre-cut and you just peel off the backing and stick them on.....can't even tell they're on there, and I trust will keep the lenses from clouding from abrasions.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Yes. thanks for your excellent response.

Norm