clutch noise.......

i get in my car and start it. All of a sudden i hear this hi-pitched whine as soon as it starts. I let the clutch all the way out in neutral and it stops. but every once inawhile i hear it again. As soon as i have to shift i hear it again. It sounds really bad like something is scraping. my owners manual says not to add trans fluid. It's an 02 GT. Oh yeah i think i should mention that prior to this happening before i heard the whining i would hear a whoosing sound like air was escaping somewhere. Anybody know what is happening and more importantly what it will cost to fix? Other than the sound there are no problems shifting and the gears aren't slipping.

Coy

Reply to
cbutler

Sounds like the throw out bearing is bad. If you're warranty is still good have Ford replace it. If not, a trans shop should be able to replace it for an hour or two of labor plus parts.

Reply to
Mike King

I agree.. throw out bearing is the first thing I would check.

Kate

| > Coy | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Got the word form my dealer this afternoon. Throwout bearing plus, damahge to the pressure plate. Decided to have the whole clutch assembly replace :( Oh well it's an '00 not an '02 and it has 80k on it. First major expense i've had in it since i got it with 17k on it. Things break.

Reply to
cbutler

How much is the total cost of parts + labor for replacing the whole clutch assembly? Costed me $500-$550 before.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

at a Ford Dealer ?

Rein

Hey Mike, yup that's right. My total cost was $542.00.

Coy

Reply to
cbutler

that's not bad I think. did they use the heavy duty steel reainer bearing instead of the stock model ?

thanks

Rein

Cool. Some places like to overcharge by hundreds.. glad it didn't happen to you.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset