Clutch question

I'm thinking of getting a Mustang with a 5 speed, I've been looking at

1985-1993 convertibles because they're much more in my price range than the later ones.

I'd like a 5 speed but I drove one and the clutch seems very stiff for my arthritic knee.

Is there some way to make the clutch lighter? MUCH lighter!

Thanks for any information.

Reply to
XS11E

Which year Mustang did you drive? I know of a few 87-95's that have had a really stiff clutch. My own Mustang had this problem yrs ago. I have changed my clutch at least five times and always used Ford Motorsport "King Cobra" clutch kits that includes the clutch disc, heavy duty pressure plate, and throw out bering. All four times the stiff petal remained, untill the last clutch replacement. I bought a Centerforce dual friction clutch kit and changed the clutch fork, clutch cable and replaced the factory clutch paul and quadrant to a Motorsport quadrant. Now the clutch is hardly an effort.

If the clutch is too stiff there is definately a problem. Either a bad pressure-plate, bad clutch cable, bent clutch fork, or the bering retainer on the transmission is scarred. Nothing major all should be replaced on those older cars by now.

Parts: $$$

Clutch Kit $150.00 - $300.00 depending on brand and style. Clutch Fork $25.00 "Jegs" nice one with a Zinc dichromate finish Adjustable Cluch Cable & Clutch Quadrant $100.00 "Jegs" again I think I saw this combo kit made by GMS "Granetelli Motorsports"

Good luck, you can fix this minor clutch problem, I did !!

Reply to
Carver

Carver wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It was a 1985 LX Convertible, the last of the carbureted 302s I believe? It was at a dealer and he sold it new, did all the maintenance and had all the service records. Naturally, they wanted too much but the car was as close to showroom condition as any 2003 used car I've ever seen! I didn't buy it because of that damn clutch.

Are we talking Honda/Nissan/Toyota two finger clutch here? I know I can work one of them.... but this one was much stiffer than, for example, my 1964 brand X (you know, the plastic bodied one with the 327 V8).

Thanks for the info, I'll check some more 5 speeds. An automatic just won't be what I want... but I'm going to consider one.

Reply to
XS11E

Yes, there are a couple of ways to do that. The clutch is cable operated, with a couple of lever type mechanisms in the works. To ease the effort, you need a longer lever. \ The first place to look is the clutch quadrant. A lot of people change to a performance type quadrant. They are usually smaller than stock, for a faster pedal action. Of course, the trade off is a smaller lever, and more effort. Trade back to stock, or use a larger aftermarket piece. The second place is the clutch fork, inside the bellhousing. There is an extension piece available to make it a little longer. Or you can replace the entire fork with one from a truck. The last place is the pressure plate. There are a bunch of levers there, with some springs. A performance clutch - like a King Cobra - will have stiffer springs for better holding power. Generally not needed on a stock engine, but some people do it anyway. Switch back to a stock replacement part.

Reply to
boB

Yes, I can push the clutch in with two fingers. I laugh at how easy it is after all these years of driving with it the other way. Speed shifting is like a dream now. Clutch has a bow like feeling. What I mean by this is it is like a bow and arrow, if you've every pulled back on a bow string it is a little tight at first , then once you reach a certain point it pulls back with ease

Reply to
Carver

Carver wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Great! The 5 speed is back on my list! Since my list consisted of only one car I guess I can say my list is back.... darn, I wish I'd have asked when I first saw the '85, it's long since sold and it'll be hard to find another one as nice.....

Thanks for the information.

Reply to
XS11E

boB wrote in news:41a0f147$0$31465$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetmonster.com:

All good points to be considered. Thanks very much. Because of the history of the car I drove, I very much doubt that any modifications had been made but some of the stiffness could have been due to binding cable, etc.

It's too late to grab that one but I'll be looking again to see what I can find.

Thanks again, people here are very helpful and it's much appreciated.

I'll be back with more questions when I find the right car for me!

Reply to
XS11E

Reply to
KEITH MCCUMBER

"KEITH MCCUMBER" wrote in news:3VPtd.105235$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Thanks, very good point.

Unfortunately, I've had to drop the idea of getting any Mustang for now, as always, something else has come up to take all my money.

Reply to
XS11E