clutch/transmission noise

Hello everyone, I need your expertise to pinpoint my problem on my 91 LX 5.0L.

There is a knocking noise coming from the tranny. This noise occurs only when the clutch pedal is free and my foot does not touch it. Also, it does not matter if the transmission is in gear or not.

When I do a full stop and have the car on neutral, I clearly hear the knocking sound, but as soon as I barely touch the clutch pedal, the noise goes away. It seems it just needs a very little stress in the clutch cable to make it stop.

I get this noise also when the car is running and is in deceleration. Example, if I am in third gear at 3000 rpm and drop the gas to slow down, I will then have the knocking noise but at a quicker knocking rate.

I've read about many problems with the throw-out bearing but there is different opinions on this.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nicky Pantoliano

Throwout bearings typically chirp like a cricket. The sound for a throwout bearing is very distinct.

To me what it sounds like is there is too much slack in your clutch cable which is causing the clutch fork to bang around on the bellhousing. I went through the same thing. 87 - 93 Mustangs have a built in mechanism to take slack out of the cable. You need to pull up on the clutch pedal, you should hear a click. The click means some slack was taken out. These adjusting pieces are made from plastic so sometimes the adjusting mechanism is broken and you will not be able to adjust the cable.

There are several other ways to adjust the clutch cable (with aftermarket parts). A firewall adjuster, clutch quadrant, adjustable clutch cable. If you adjusting mechanism is broken I would recommend a firewall adjuster from steeda.

Hope this helps, Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill