Clutch Whine/Squeal?

Actually, I'm not sure exactly where the whine is coming from. It sounds like I'm having the opposite symptoms of the throwout bearing going bad.

First, the car: 1999 GT convertible, 5speed manual.

When I crank the engine, there is a whine coming from under the hood. If I barely rest my foot on the clutch pedal (or fully depress the pedal, for that matter), the whine goes away. The sound is present whether I am in neutral and stationary or running down the highway at 80mph. This all started a couple of weeks after I was run off of an entrance ramp by an inanttentive truck driver. The car ended up with the front wheels hanging over the edge of a culvert. I intend to get it into a body shop for repairs at some point, but I'm more concerned with this mechanical problem at the moment. It's possible the whine/squeal is unrelated to the "accident", but I have a feeling something got shifted in a bad way.

Has anybody got any insight as to what could be causing this noise? I'm going to let a shop go over the car from top to bottom to check for any hidden (or obvious) damage, but I wanted to get the input of the group on the squeal before I let a repair shop take me for a ride...

TIA for any help and SWAGs!

-- David C. Blakely

Reply to
DCB

DCB opined in news:2TL1b.441$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

ANY TIME the car rests with the weight OFF the wheels after coming to a stop, you are likely to have underside damage.

You SHOULD have taken it to a shop immediately, do so now.

I cant believe you didnt at least get under it to look.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Whoa, whoa, whoa, there BYM. RELAX a bit. You've made a bad assumption, there. I did run it up on ramps at home and look at the undercarriage. No

*obvious* signs of damage (aside from the abrasions to the edges of the undercarriage). It hasn't leaked any fluids onto the ground; I've been checking.

You missed the point of my post. I didn't post so I could get flames galore about what I should have done. Yes, had finances allowed it should have gone to the shop immediately. Duly noted.

I woud like to know if anybody has an idea what might be causing the whine/squeal.

Thanks again,

-- David

Reply to
DCB

My TOB sqeeks, I just learned to not rest my foot on the pedal. If you search the stang forums on the net you can see it is a common problem and some have found ways to spray lithium grease into the bearing. If it does not sqeek with your foot off the pedal, don't worry mine has gone several thousand miles, and it's still ok.

-- Tropic Green 2000GT 5 Speed MM Sport Box Suspension Shorty Headers, X Pipe W/Cats, MagnaFlow C/B P-1SC @ 10# W/3Core I/C

03 Cobra Wheels W/BFG G-Force T/A KDW 3:73 FMS Gears Aluminum FW W/Cobra Clutch Eagle H-Beam Rods JE 17cc Dished Pistons Aluminum Drive Shaft

DCB wrote:

Reply to
GILL