Cobra fuel guage

I'm kind of new to the forum, so I'm not really sure is this is the kind of question to post here, but here goes....... I have a '98 Cobra that I'm keeping on the road with a pretty tight budget. So, even though I'm not terribly mechanically talented, I'm trying to self perform as many of the little maintenance tasks as possible. A couple of recent examples are the battery, and then later on the alternator. Anyway.......... now the fuel gage seems to have expired. The needle points it the 5 o'clock position now regardless of the volume in the fuel tank. Here's a few questions that I have:

  1. Is it pretty likely that I just need a new gauge?
  2. If so, is there a place other than the "Dealer" where a part like this could be economically obtained?
  3. If I get the gauge, is it a real tough job to replace it?

By the way I just thought of another unrelated question I have. The security alarm system has started to "false alarm" about once a week now. Has anyone had experience with this kind of problem, and the associated repairs?

Thanks in advance................Dennis (aka x-ring)

Reply to
X-ring

It might be the sender in the fueltank. This would require dropping the fualtank. While you are at it, also replace the fuelpump, depending on how many miles the car has driven. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Hi, I have a 98 Cobra too. My alarm started going off unprovoked whenever I would lock her and walk about 30 feet away. I said it was cause she didn't want her momma to leave her alone in the parking lot. I eventually ran her to the dealership, and they tracked the problem down to a defective sensor in the trunk. It is located above the trunk latch in the lid. I disconnected it, and no more problems until I have the time to get it fixed. yours may be a different sensor that has gone bad, but you never know.

Hope this helped!

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top With a personal touch, or two.
SVTKate

Oh! On that gauge, or sending unit, ping Tim aka Musttanguy, he does parts, CHEAP! and he ships. he's a real honest guy and good to do business with.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Hey Kate - Thanks for the helpful advice. I'll try undoing the sensor in the trunk just to see if it helps. Maybe I'll get lucky. I'm not sure yet if I need a new gage or sending unit, but how do I ping Tim? Not sure what you mean by that.

Thanks again for your help. Dennis

Reply to
X-ring

Hi Dennis, To ping someone (it's like paging) you post a new message with a subject line like this: PING: Musttanguy - Looking for parts

He will find you :) Keep us posted on that alarm issue ok :)

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate