CobraJet's vs GT40Patrick's

The little GT40 head comparision thread got me thinking. As much as CJ hates my guts and I can't stand his stuck in the past attitude, automotively, I think we're quite similar. So I started thinking about what we have in common. I don't have a lot of time tonight to post, so I'm only throwing out a few ideas. But first, here's what we won't discuss in this thread: 12-second muscle cars and how classics compare to late models. With that said, let's find similiarities.

Over the years here are some things I think we both like or prefer:

Station wagons Sleepers Large displacement Normally aspirated Strippers Tweaked, but factory appearing Straight-line cars

CJ, so far so good? (Agree damn it... just say yes and nod your head. Let's get out of the blocks and lay down the first 60-feet without wheel-hopping or spining the tires.)

Can you think of anything else we disagree about? And what else do you think we agree on?

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Did you see the news story John URL'd comparing mechanics to technicians? This is the essential difference between you and me. I'm a gearhead, you belong to the plug-and-play group. The attitude *you* call "stuck in the past", is referred to as "nostalgia" by the vast majority of car-minded 40+ year-olds. The fact that you name C&D as your fave shows me you would never consider an all-out buildup of anything yourself.

So it really goes back to the apples and oranges thing. You are trying to find a common ground to ease things a bit; I say it really doesn't matter. Why? Because I *own* several of every vehicle you have in that list above, and you own a '93 Cobra. I get greasy; you pay lip service. Apples and oranges.

Next week, if it doesn't rain anymore, I'll post pics of my Ranger's engine to show you what I enjoy farting around with.

Reply to
CobraJet

If I may explain the diff. using a cliche:

CJ - Been there, done it several times, got the t-shirts, and has modified the t-shirts to fit better.

Patrick - Got a picture of one of CJ's t-shirts.

Reply to
John

No, I missed that.

The vast majority visit nostalgia, they don't live there.

I've noticed you stereotype a lot. You shouldn't do that. Case in point, my neighbor's 19 year-old kid. He owns a slightly lowered Integra. A first glance you'd call him a ricer. But when you go check out his ride you'll find he pulled the motor, replaced it, installed a new clutch, and then hooked up a custom turbo system, and he did it himself. Results? He now hangs with lightly modded Terminator Cobras. Okay, then you'd think he likes nothing but Asian cars. Wrong again. His buddy owns an '04 Cobra, and a Saturday afternoon about two weeks ago they replaced his factory blower with a ported one, in his driveway. Not too shabby for a generation you *often* stereotype. As for myself, after I get my two kids through college my plan is to build a T-bucket roadster.

Apparently I don't take things as serious as you. I can be throwing punches like crazy but when the bell rings that's it. Fight's over. I can give the opponent a nod, a little hug, and a "good fight", and then I press. You *seem* to hold a grudge.

Lately you seem to be really zeroing in on my Cobra. Downing it every chance you get. What... hoping I'll sell it? Sorry, no dice, pal.

That's cool. But what I'd rather see are pics of the 20+ classics you have. And why spend time on the pickup when you could be playing with the motors in the cars??? C'mon, get us some time slips, Mr. Gearhead! Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

That's yet to be determined.

And my t-shirts say, has completed 5Ks, 10Ks and half marathons. Wanna race?

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

I don't know where you newer Thundersnakes are getting your info, but you've pretty much got that backwards.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Are you trying to convince *anyone* that Patrick knows more about this stuff than I do?

Reply to
CobraJet

No, what I wrote is that Patrick has a better claim to "been there done that" than you do. Emphasis on the "doing," not the "knowing." I don't know where the newbies are getting their info, but it doesn't match what I've been reading in these groups the past four years.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

OK, fair enough. Perhaps you'd like to do the following, as long as you're stuck in a dead-end data-entry cubicle job after failing miserably as a lawyer:

1) Show us all the engines, drivetrains, and automotive electronics Patrick has worked on since he was born. Plug and oil changes don't count. 2) Show us all the engines, drivetrains, and automotive electronics that I have worked on since born. Also, explain how what you've seen in the last four years tells you about my life experiences offline. Alternately, you can give us the name of the crystal ball maker that you and Patrick buy from. 3) Google up the thousands of RAMFM posts I've had since '98, extract the flame-based content, and figure out who, besides Bill S., has flung more classic tech into this group than I. 4) Consult your crystal ball and see why I don't care.
Reply to
CobraJet

Have you and one80out had a falling out CobraJet?

Merc Thundersnake#16

69 machclone 351W that wants to be a 427W soooooo bad.

Reply to
Merc

I don't know where that came from, but it's a lie. What would you know about jobs, anyway? When is the last time you held one? My guess is you're either living on the dole, most likely on a faked-up SSI disability, or you told a stack of lies to some plaintiff's lawyer and scored a six figure payday somewhere along the way.

As for the rest, I've seen that "crystal ball" line of yours often enough for it to peg MY bullshit meter. You spend half your free time

-- which is to say half your time, period! -- typing up your automotive exploits on the Usenet, but whenever you're called on anything you hide behind this dodge, that you have this hush-hush secret life where you do all the reeeally cool stuff. And all this "I was there in the day" crap. What a joke. Four years reading your posts and I've never read a single post about you actually working on an on-topic car, or even driving one. Let alone racing one. Plenty about lead-butting it around in an ex-cop Crown Vic, but never a word from the real world about anything on-topic. Just a lot of second hand info from magazines and from web searches.

So, after four years of this same-old, here's what I know:

Starting with the often-mentioned CJ car collection, here's the inventory, from a Sept 2004 thread:

'63 Galaxie Country Sedan Wagon - 390 '64 Monterey Marauder - 390 '64 Fairlane 500 Ranch Wagon '65 Olds Starfire - 425 '65 Galaxie 500 '65 Comet 404 '66 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - 410 '67 Mercury Commuter Wagon '67 Cougar - 289 '67 Cyclone GT Convertible - 390GT '68 Olds 4-4-2 - 400 '68 Torino GT - 390GT '68 Mustang GT/California Special - 289 '69 Plymouth Satellite - 383HP - 4 spd - 4 dr '69 Mustang Coupe - 302 '69 Cougar XR7 428 Cobra Jet '69 Cyclone CJ 428 Cobra Jet '69 Fairlane 428 Cobra Jet Automatic '69 Fairlane 428 Cobra Jet Stick '70 Cyclone Spoiler 429 Cobra Jet '70 Torino GT - 351C '70 Torino Brougham 351C '70 Plymouth Road Runner - 440HP '72 F-250 Camper Special '73 Mustang - engineless '73 F-100 Ranger XLT - built 460 '76 E-250 Econoline - 351W '86 Cougar - 232 '97 Crown Vic Police Interceptor '?? Toyota Celica - parting out

There might be an '82 Accord in there too.

Only the '64 Fairlane wagon, the '70 Torino Brougham, the '73 F-100, and the Crown Victoria were running as of Sept '04. The F-100 and the Torino were recent purchases at that time, but the engine has since been pulled from the pickup to go into the Torino, so I guess the F-100 is not running anymore, either.

The others are in storage. None of them is ever driven or worked on.

30 cars. Way more projects than you can ever hope to handle. You could pass them along to someone who would bring them back to life. But then what would happen to the myth of CJ? So all these cool old cars just sit and rot.

As far as you being there "in the day," you turned 16 in about 1972, meaning for example that you were about 5 years old when the 427 FE came out, and about 14 when the last 428 Cobra Jet rolled off the line.

At some point in the mid-70's you bought the above-mentioned '68 289 GT/CS, and that was the beginning -- and possibly the end -- of your actual real-world experience. You might even have street raced it a couple times. How many actual races? Who knows? 20 per year, for two or three years? All of them between 25 and 30 years ago. Any trips down a real drag strip? You've mentioned ET's, so I guess you must have run a few laps. I'm guessing not very many. I know during this period you installed one engine in the GT/CS, so maybe you built it too. That makes one engine you've built.

At some point in the late '70's to mid-'80's, you moved from L.A. to Phoenix, leaving the by-then broken down GT/CS behind in Cali. You owned a car stereo shop. And THAT'S where your question about "all the automotive electronics" comes from -- car stereos and car alarms. Yeah, I'm guessing you've got everybody in the NG beat on that kind of work, by a factor of ten. Should we be impressed?

During the stereo shop era the Fox-body '86 3.8 Cougar was your driver. I'm guessing it was also during this period that you began collecting all the old iron. Some of the oldies must have filled the gap as drivers, between the defunct GT/CS and the '86 Cougar. Maybe you raced some of them, but I have never read a post saying so. Most of them, and eventually all of them, just sat baking in the sun.

In the late '90's the '86 Cougar gave way to an '82 Accord. The Honda was your driver from the beginning of your Usenet career until a couple years ago, when you switched to the ex-cop '97 Crown Victoria.

So as far as I can tell the engine swap from the F-100 into the Torino is the first time since the late '70's or early '80's that you're actually working on a car. And during that time your REAL bad rides have been a six-cyl Cougar, a four-cyl Honda, and a 281 ci two ton taxicab. BBA all the way, baby.

As for NoOp Patrick, in a February 1999 post he says he has owned these cars:

'68 383 Super Bee '68 318 Dodge pickup '67 283 Impala '68 289 Comet '76 360 Dodge pickup '73 VW Vanagon '87 5.0 Mustang LX - first new car '95 Accord EX =A0 '93 Cobra

The '93 Cobra was a recent acquisition as of Feb '99.

Patrick also wrote this: "I grew up near Detroit and my two older brothers were car crazy. =A0They owned a '69 and '72 Chevelle, '74 Javelin, '68 Mustang fastback, and a '69 Cougar XR7 convertible."

Put it all together and you'd have to say that Patrick has as much or more hands-on experience with carbureted V8 iron as he has with the EFI stuff.

Patrick took a car to the dragstrip for the first time in 1988, the car being his '87 5.0. As of Sept '99 he could say he'd gone about 4-5 times per year since then. I don't think he's been back much since '99. This is because he's a career non-commissioned officer in the Air Force. Since I've been reading the NG, I know the USAF sent him from Albuquerque to Turkey for a couple years, then to Florida. Between

1988 and today he's also raised two kids to college age. He sold the '87 5.0 in 1999. He still has the Cobra, and also has a Fox-body LTD.

If you squint real hard, you might recognize these activities as "real life." Also sometimes referred to as "pulling your own weight"; living for something other than your own self-gratification.

I mean, here you are, nearly 50 years of age, and your only responsibility in life is to keep a bag of cat food in the house.

So you don't care what anyone's "crystal ball" says, you've got all these secret projects going on that you never write about. It's so much more interesting to type that 100th reference to Arrogant Bastard Ale or tell us about the glories of driving an ex cop car on the freeway, than actually sharing a real life on-topic activity. That's what we're supposed to believe, anyway.

Sorry, I've been seeing the same shit for four years. Now for the first time in all those years you've actually got a project going, and boy the attitude we're all seeing now. For the first time in 20 years you're actually getting that black crud under your fingernails, familiar to all of us who actually work on our cars, and the rest of us better stand back. Super Cobra Jet, the guy who's "been there, done it several times, got the t-shirts, and has modified the t-shirts to fit better." All the time you know it's not true, and you let guys like John here believe it anyway.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

[...]

Nah, old William is just frustrated with life and he thinks he's on a mission.

Reply to
CobraJet

Hot damn! I snap my fingers and cubicle boy does the work! At least you got the car list right. The rest you get a D on. Not for effort, but for thinking that *anyone* relates his entire life to Usenet. I've never seen a single person write a detailed biography here. Have you?

In a court of law, your smegmatic expulsion would amount to hearsay and would fall woefully astray of conveying factual information. It's no wonder you failed as a lawyer.

I understand you, though. You're at a crossroads in your life, and it pains you to think that other people may have had a more interesting past than you. But it's OK, William, you are still needed by society.

After all, *somebody* has to enter that data.

Reply to
CobraJet

CobraJet wrote in news:040320051727028569% snipped-for-privacy@streetracer.sfv:

Wow, another reference to 's***ma'. How gutteral.

Joe

Thank you. I have to keep the status quo alive here, even if I have to coin new smegmaniferous words.

Reply to
CobraJet

***Instructions for reading this post***
  1. Everything within () are thoughts, and there are several layers.
  2. Read entirely.

Hey, CJ, just WHOA there....

((whinny, WHINN-NEH-NEH-NY [EERRRRT, TIRES GO "SCREECH"!])

(Just what the hell is this? WHAT DIID HEEEE MEAN BY THAT!!!????

A JOKE, OR WTF, OR MY GOD HE'S A DAMNED FREAKIN..... WTF WITH THIS "CROSSROADS" BULLSHIT??? I SWEAR, I... ARRGH

I JUST SAID THAT, DAMMIT, AND NOW -HE- PLAYS ME THE FOOL.... OH.. RRGHTFT... RAGA FRAGGA SNAGGA RAZZLE!!!

HUFF PUFF UNGH BLOOD PRESSURE JACKS UP - GOTTA BE 200/100 -

WHAT A L-L-LIAR-! A DAMNED FOOL IDIOT! FREAKIN IGNORAMUS! JUST WHAT IS HE SAYING!!?? MY INTEGRITY!!

WTF? SPLUTTER! RAGE!!!))

..

(Oh, FRENCH, yeah... he HATES the French... so this'll get him good! Throw in some SPANISH, TOO, because THIS Insufferable Mofo lives in Phoenix!! HA HAAA)

"Qu'est-ce que vous me dites, alors, Serpent de Tonnerre #1?? QUE VOULEZ-VOUS DIRE??"

¿Y que es esta mierda que viene de su boca?

Vous puez comme BJ, putain sale !

. . . . .

(-oh, wait a minute-)

. . .

(-just relax, relax. Ree-lax. It was a joke -a joke-)

. . .

("Breathe, J, breathe... in through nose, out through mouth... in through nose, out through mouth... now begin... repeat, relax...

. .

your hands are warm... your feet are warm... but *you're* cool... you're chilled out... warm... cool...

'Mel-low... mel-low... mel-low... there... you feel better, man? You feel mellow? Yeahhhh....'

. . .

(sigh)

. . .

("Om Tryam Backam Yashamahey Sugon Teem Push Devar Khanam Uvwar Ukhamava Bondanam

Mirtygor Moksheeya Mamrupath Mirtygor Moksheeya Mamrupath Mirtygor Moksheeya Mamrupath

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Om Shanti Shanti Shanti ......................."

Much better.... better....)

. . .

Heh. Good one, CJ!

Reply to
Wound Up

Do I know more than you about this stuff...? What I think is that you have the reference manual from hell, that's what I think. Even with out the manual, I wouldn't doubt you know more about the classic stuff because you live there. Automotively, for you, the world stopped somewhere around '73-'74. So you only need to know about 10 years worth. Study that small amount of information long enough and you _should_ know it upside down and backwards. Myself, on the other hand, was just like you until the '82 GT Mustang made its debut. Then I started gobbling up info on every subsequent model year of car since, plus some foreign, so of course my knowledge on the details of the old stuff is going to be foggy in comparision. Try stuffing about 33 years of automotive info in your brain. And even the 70's stuff I like to read about now, so the 33 years of info is up to nearly 40, and growing.

But that's just talking about "knowing". Expirience is something else. Am I claiming, or have I ever claimed to be, a mechanic? No. Am I afraid to get my hands dirty? No. Here's my list of things I've done:

replaced starter rebuilt/installed carbs replaced water pumps replaced rocker arms replaced cam/bearings installed U/D pullies installed timing chain installed headers, x & h pipes installed rear gears replaced alternator installed clutch cables/quadrants performed brake jobs - including drum replaced rotors & calipers installed shift kit replaced valve cover gaskets replaced/swapped intake manifolds installed shocks replaced radiators/hoses repacked/replaced wheel bearings replaced a computer installed shifters replaced fenders/doors/hoods stripped paint performed bodywork/paint prep replaced/installed oak bed in pickup replaced/installed throttle body/EGR/TPS sensor/mass-air meter & sensor replaced clutch on an A/C compressor all the tune-up junk (points, plugs, wires ect.) and various sensors

Things I haven't done, but would love to. Never pulled heads, got in the bottom end, rebuilt a trans, and have never done a clutch job (Never needed to. My LX's had more than a 100K on its original when I sold the car, and my Cobra's has a 100K on it now and it still has plenty of bite). I'd like to do these four tasks, but so far I haven't needed to. But to be honest, I wouldn't do them right now because my Cobra is my daily driver, that is unless I had a knowledgeable friend looking over my shoulder.

So that's it for the "plug-n-play guy".

Your turn to step up to the plate, self-proclaimed, "Mr. Gearhead".

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Whoa! You can tell this guy *is* a lawyer. Kinda reminds me of a young Tom Cruise grilling Jack Nickelson in the final act of a "Few Good Men".

It's his typical smear campaign. I've grown used to it.

Yes, the "dodge". The short list is thousands of pounds of old car magazines, time slips, and let's add one more -- some recent pictures of all these classics. Got links?

I remember CJ showing up sometime around '97, so it isn't just "four years" it's about eight.

I think he dumped this one, or it's now on blocks too.

CJ, here's what I would do. You're 50. You have more project cars than you have years left driving. The market prices for these cars is high right now. Even if they're in rough shape you could still net a tidy sum. I would pick maybe 3-4 of the good/really special ones from your lot and keep them. All the rest I'd sell, and the proceeds I would take and do a complete resto on those 3 or 4 special ones. I'd rather have 3-4 cherries, than 20+ hulks. Let the young guys bring those others back, you spend some time enjoying/driving a few, if it is only 3 or 4. Do it, now!

Be good to them, CJ... let 'em go. Imagine some young guy bringing one back to life and then bringing it over for you to approve. In my book, THAT would be pretty freaking awesome!

Oh shit, the Cruise missile is onto me.

Either I fat fingered or you did. It was a '69.

The Accord is the wife's car.

It was December '98, which makes it anything but "recent". She's just about to turn 100K, but it still looks/runs like a car less than half her age.

Later my one brother added a '90 GT 'vert and a '66 Shelby GT-350H.

Carbs, never again. Unless it's complex carbs before a workout/run.

The kids. My son is like a brother and he's my very best friend. He is an *amazing* kid -- a two time Congressional Medal award winner, graduated second in his class of nearly 200 with a 4.6 something GPA, and earned a scholorship at a TOP university. His maturity at 19 rivals some adults at 40, I kid you not. My daughter is not as gifted, but what a fighter. Worked her butt off and paid cash for her first car, and has paid nearly every penny of her college so far. She'll earn her associates in June. She's awesome... a beauty inside and out. The guy that gets her is going to be one lucky dude.

Sorry, can't mention the kids or I'll start rambling.

I raced the LX so many times on the strip and street the carpeting under the gas pedal was probably worn through. I got groups of time slips from that car. It's amazing the original clutch/trans never hiccuped. Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Sure, using my rules. The first one to puke wins!

Reply to
John