Coil spring compressor

Hi, Has anyone safely replaced a front control arm on a 93 5.0 LX w/o the $450.00 internal coil spring compressor?. I would like to do the job myself and I've done a bunch of risky work on my Stang before (benching a tranny to get it out etc.....)but now I don't want to take any fool risks and lose a body part to a flying spring...q is will the hook type work just as well. TIA

Reply to
nigel mann

Rent one! Those hook ones are similar to a Roman Catapult. And they can remove your parts faster than the car's.

Reply to
William Claude Dukenfield

There is a way that is very easy to do and can be done without using a coil spring compressor. Using a jack under the A-arm, jack the A-arm up to remove the tension and then remove the two inner A-arm bolts. Lower the jack slowly.......The spring will fall out harmlessly. Then to install the spring, slowly jack the A-arm up in place, insert the two inner A-arm bolts. This method does not require removing the strut bolts from the spindle or removal of the brake caliper. I have used this method twice with great results. It works on fox bodied cars only as far as I know.

The alternative method is to remove the strut bolts, remove the brake caliper and then let the A-arm extend. Using a pry bar, slowly pry it out of the perch.....the spring will hit the backside of the rotor. I have done this once. It works well when removing....if you are putting shorter springs in, it is easy to install but if you are installing a longer spring such as a drag spring, it is a PITA.

I have used the coil spring compressors and to be honest....they just dont ooze much confidence. They looked shaky at best. It would have to be a set that installed on the outside of the spring and they just dont look like they hold up well. The compressors that work on the inside of the spring appear to compress the spring well but they cannot be removed easily because the perch hole in the A-arm is very small. I have also heard of folks taking springs to mechanics that can compress them and will attach some sort of band around a few coils to keep them compressed. You take the then shorter springs back to install. Once they are installed, you cut the bands with a set of cutters to release the tension in the springs. I have only heard of folks doing this....never done it myself.

The 1st method I listed is so easy. You will be skeptical in the beginning but once you do it, you will not believe how easy it was. I did it in around 2 hours start to finish for the front springs and I took my time. If you do want a detailed description of it....go to

and look at the General Tech forum. Search for MFE's coil spring removal/install procedure.

Casey

Reply to
David C. Johnson