convert has a shimmy

Inquiring from the masses.

I am no mechanic, so if my question sounds off the wall, please be gentle!

I have a 2001 V6 Convertible that has a slight shimmy (had it since I bought it brand new - my first convertible) and I was wondering if there is a way to tighten it up to reduce it. I was thinking of adding stabilizer bar(s) in the engine compartment?

Can I get the experts out here to give me there $.02?

Reply to
S. Michael

It'll be a little more than .02 cents. I have same car and have the same little shimmy. It is very noticeable when driving on rough road. I attributed it to the fact that it is the nature of our Verts since we don't have the rigidity of a coupe top. If you check out JD Adam's site, he has some excellent ideas on stiffening up the chassis. I think the Strut Tower Brace is the part that will either reduce or eliminate the shimmy in the cowl. That's where I notice all my shaking taking place.

So, what color combo do you have? Mine's Torch Red w/ Black top. Even got the "Mustang" sticker down the sides near the ground. It's cool to see someone else here with same Year & Model as me!

Reply to
Greg B.

Did you do a Strut Tower (JDA suggestion) or Strut mount?

What are the pros and cons of either?

Reply to
S. Michael

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:24:51 GMT, "Greg B." wrote something wonderfully witty:

I also have a an `01 drop-top with a Premium package. Black & Tan. I have gold stripes down the sides and the Mustang across the back is Gold as well. I love the two-tone tan leather. Next upgrade is some black Bullitt wheels. Bought some on e-bay and the deal fell through. So I guess that makes at least three of us with `01 drop-tops.

What is the URL of the site you are referring to? I've also chalked the shimmering to the nature of the beast. No roof to tie the whole thing together. I just hope it doesn't turn into a rattle trap as it ages.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Here is JD's web site:

I'm thinking about getting the Strut Tower Brace first, and see how that works on the shimmy. Second will be the full length Sub-frame connectors. After that, then a few bolt on power mods like pulleys and CAI. Then I might consider suspension parts.

Reply to
Greg B.