Convert to Manual Steering ??

Anyone running Manual Steering in a 5.0 ??

Somehow P/S doesn't appeal to me in a "Hopped Up" 5.0.....

I'm debating on reverting back to Manual Steering on my 89 5.0.

Ideas ? Suggestions ??

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert 64 Falcon HT Hot Rod Project

Check out the Ford Engine Heaven!

Katmandu

Simple. Just remove the pump and lines. DO NOT put a solid plug in the rack holes, where the lines went. It creates a vacume when you try to steer - just the opposite of power steering. If you want better steering, swap to a Flaming River manual rack. then you can have your choice of ratio's, in a rack designed to be manual. The pulley becomes a problem. You'll need an idler pulley to replace the pump. They can be difficult to find/make. But I would suggest swapping to a standard rotation water pump and using one belt for the water pump and alternater. Is it safe to assume you also don't want A/C or air pump?

Reply to
.boB

On the stock 5.0 you can bypass the PS pump with shorter serpentine belt. Be forwarned the higher ratio GT racks are a bear to turn with no assist and big fatties on the front. Watch out for a rag joint failure under such circumstances. Personally I like the GT rack. I think it gives decent road feel and is pretty darn quick ratioed. They do have a tendency to get somewhat sloppy internally with age however. Older Fox cars came with manual racks stock '78/'80 ish ( I owned a few) they were good units if you can find one but they aren't fast ratioed. Personally I wouldn't swap. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Until you turn the wheel, the power steering is basically just along for the ride.....

YMMV

Jim Warman