Convertable Questions

Hello!

My wife is insistent on getting a 2003 Mustang Convertible. I've always been wary about convertibles. Any thoughts and opinions on them?

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
Brian

Wary? As long as you don't flip the car over you'll be fine. I can't imagine what you'd have to do to flip it, Mustangs already have a low center of gravity (compared to your average every day car) and the convertible has no metal on top. If you mean wary of the handling, yeah they flex more than a hard top Mustang, but this is still "relative" if you're used to generic commuter cars (like I was) the handling feels amazing, and is even more impressive at first (or at least it was to me) than the sweet sweet power at low RPM's (v8). It's amazing that a car that weighs (in some cases) twice as much as some 4 banger imports, handles so flat and sure, with none of the "wallow" that makes you (and any passenger) feel like leaning in toward the direction of the curve. Plus I've heard (can't remember where, maybe C&D mag) that Verts because of their increased body flex over hard top 'stangs, actually have a smoother ride.

If you mean leaky roofs, my 8 year old top is still 100% water tight. Otherwise I have no idea what you might mean by "wary". So I'll just say, somehow the drop top makes me feel like I'm driving something a little special, feels like (at least to me) that is stands out a little from the crowd. It's both classy and function wise, a lot of fun.

BTW I commend your wife on her good taste :)

Reply to
Simon Juncal

I own an '01 Mustang Vert here in WA. I bought it used and the only problem I've had is a small leak right above where the Mach 460 driver's door tweeter sits. Still under factory warranty so I had the shop replace the stripping that goes around the A-pillars and top of the windshield. Then I just had them replace 2 smaller pieces of rubber on the top due to a prior owner forgetting to lower the windows before dropping the top. I'm completely happy with my Vert and I think you'd be too if you let her get one. I'd bet you'd be asking to borrow it for the drive to work every day the sun was out!

Reply to
Greg B.

We (so far) are getting a pretty good deal. A no-pressure salesman has knocked $4,000 off of the price plus an option for zero % interest.

Reply to
Brian

They are the most fun you can have with your clothes on... and if you can dip into the woods or an orchard.. with em off too!

Great stress relief, loads of fun and quite pretty.

Yup, a bit noisy, yup, a little harder to keep clean, and occasionally (not often though) they will have things that wear out that aren't cheap to fix.

Personally, I will never again be without a Drop Top in my garage if I can help it. This is the third cnvertible I have owned (one a Fiat Spyder the other a 95 GT) Try renting one for a few days, Hertz is running a special rent one for two days, get the third day free.. Just saw the flyer yesterday. See if you love it or not, see if SHE loves it.

Oh, one other thing... "If momma aint happy.... aint NObody happy!" You might want to keep that one in mind hon, if the lil' lady wants a vert, she should have a vert. Otherwise, you'll NEVER hear the end of it. If it turns out to be the wrong decision, at least you tried.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top
SVTKate

I bought my first Ford, first Mustang, first convertible in May, a used 2002 v6 Premium package. I love it! Keep wondering why I waited so long to buy a convertible. No, it's not as rock solid over pavement irregularities as the Olds I'd been driving, & it lacks a few of the Olds' toys, but it has that one super feature--a convertible top--that makes it just totally fun, even in West Texas in July. Go for it. I think you'll be glad you did. Clint

Reply to
C Green

Go for it! I have a 96 GT ragtop, stick 5 speed and will never get a hardtop. (I owned 2 GT hardtops) You will be surprised how quiet it is with top up. Radio can be heard without cranking it up. AC can form snow in your stang it is so good. (You can also run AC with the top down) I also own a 99 Miata and the stang is much quieter with top up. Nothing better then owning a stang vert GT or Cobra. Go with the 5 speed!!!! Lots of fun!!!

Mr. B

99 Miata Red 97 BMW E36 Red 96 Stang ragtop GT stick red

Reply to
Mr. B

Hi Brian,

I have an 03 GT Convertible and I love it! I've been driving it for about two months. I forgot how much fun driving can be. The power of the GT is nice, but dropping the top on a sunny day just can't be beat. The only one's I envy now are those in a drop top Cobra :)

Make the right choice... encourage the wife to buy the car - then borrow it often!

Reply to
Peter Gunn

Well Brian that seems to solve it, buy the vert. I myself would love to own one living in Fl, but I have the 66 coupe hardtop no A/C! In 90 degree weather I dream of a vert ! Bill

Reply to
B.P

Brian,

Bought my '03 GT Vert in January and it's great. My only other experience with convertibles was with a '77 and a 72 MGB. With these cars it really didn't matter if the top was up or down in the rain!!

The 'stang is dry with the top up. With the spring we had here in the NorthEastern US, I've been through a few rain sotrms witouth problems. I did get a few drops of water in around the drivers side door at the car wash. That was from the pressure washer pushing the water up the window and under the seal. Still it was only a drop or two.

As far as interrior noise goes, it's not great, but not bad either. In my case, the bulk of the interrior "noise" is the rumbling of the exhaust and the engine. The top up or down dows not matter much. Matter of fact, I think the it's less with the top down, because it seems to echo a bit more I don't know if it would be better or worse in a Base 'stang.

Anyhow all of this does not matter much on that first sunny day!!

Good Luck Joe

03' gt 'vert Stock

Reply to
joe

Yes..I told her, I better hear lots of "Yes, Dears" from her now.

Me, I drive a 96 Ranger..120,000+ miles and still going strong!

Reply to
Brian

Brian

I got a 00 GT Vert in 01. first thing I heard was why did you get that car? then we moved to Arizona

I drive with the top down after sunset in the summer, and all day fall winter and spring

Now I hear why don't you get a bigger convertible for the kids to fit in the back of the car

Reply to
Les Benn

Pay very close attention to Kate's words about momma being happy.

Gerry

Ft Collins, co.

66 & 03 GT verts
Reply to
Gerry

Well, your friends and family haven't got any idea what they are talking about.

Yup, you should say "C'mon darlin... let's go get that Drop Top you want, you are going to look SO good in it!" It will make her happy, and if she is happy, then you'll be happy.

Your friends and family arent the people you should be trying to please.

Kate

| > Brian wrote: | > > Hello! | > >

| > > My wife is insistent on getting a 2003 Mustang Convertible. I've always | been | > > wary about convertibles. Any thoughts and opinions on them? | >

| > Wary? As long as you don't flip the car over you'll be fine. I can't | > imagine what you'd have to do to flip it, Mustangs already have a low | > center of gravity (compared to your average every day car) and the | > convertible has no metal on top. If you mean wary of the handling, yeah | > they flex more than a hard top Mustang, but this is still "relative" if | > you're used to generic commuter cars (like I was) the handling feels | > amazing, and is even more impressive at first (or at least it was to me) | > than the sweet sweet power at low RPM's (v8). It's amazing that a car | > that weighs (in some cases) twice as much as some 4 banger imports, | > handles so flat and sure, with none of the "wallow" that makes you (and | > any passenger) feel like leaning in toward the direction of the curve. | > Plus I've heard (can't remember where, maybe C&D mag) that Verts because | > of their increased body flex over hard top 'stangs, actually have a | > smoother ride. | >

| > If you mean leaky roofs, my 8 year old top is still 100% water tight. | > Otherwise I have no idea what you might mean by "wary". So I'll just | > say, somehow the drop top makes me feel like I'm driving something a | > little special, feels like (at least to me) that is stands out a little | > from the crowd. It's both classy and function wise, a lot of fun. | >

| > BTW I commend your wife on her good taste :) | >

| | |

Reply to
SVTKate

We want digital photos of the car posted!!! Get the GT!!!!! 5 speed don't forget the Mach sound system

Reply to
Mr. B

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:46:38 -0500, "Brian" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Uh duh, how long you been married? Six weeks? Beat you even got married for steady sex ! :)

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:56:31 GMT, "SVTKate" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Kate, I think he needs to go into remedial husband training. It appears he ain't been house-broke yet.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Let me sum it up. I have a 93GT coupe cause my 91LX 5.0 convertible got ripped off. I love my GT but damn, some days I wish the roof came off!

On the down side, mine developed two small inch tears where the top folds in the back. I was told by Ford, later, that this is pretty common. But a relatively easy fix.

They are noisy at speed and you have to wear a cap or burn your head (ouch!). That said, I would get another if I found a low mileage 5.0...

Brad S

Reply to
Brad

LOL sorry but the same thing happened to me, with basically the same result (not as much water though) I was mostly cussing because of the water getting on my leather. Turned out to be a good excuse to hit it with some leather conditioner ;)

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Here's a pic of mine... and the kids fit in their seats in the back too! They don't ride in it often, but they love it when I take them out on a nice day. My little guy is 20 months and can say "Mustang GT Convertible". The first time I had him in the car he was smiling from ear to ear. When I asked him if he liked it, he just smiled and said Vroooommmmm. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree :)

Kenny