Convertible Rear window adhesive

Can anyone tell me what the name of the adhesive is that bonds the rear glass to the fabric along the bottom edge of the window and where it can be obtained.

Reply to
Richard

After some fair amount of experimenting, I came up with a solution that has held for 10 months/9,000 miles. I used GE Silicone II- Window and Door silicone sealant. This product is available at major home centers. GE Kitchen and Bath sealant DID NOT work for me. I roughed up both the vinyl fabric and glass mating surfaces with fine sandpaper before applying sealant. I also cleaned both surfaces thoroughly with denatured alcohol. Be careful, as denatured alcohol will melt/soften paint, plastic, etc. I found that there was less stress on the joint to be repaired with the top in a halfway up position. I weighted the fabric to the glass during curing. I allowed the repair to cure 48 hours before operating the top. I should add that my repair was to the joint where the vinyl top attaches to the outside bottom of the rear glass. I hope this helps. GOOD LUCK.

Reply to
Terr

That's exactly where mine was/is coming loose. I talked to a few top installers and a friend that has a body shop and a convertible that had the same problem. Their collective experience was that there is no cheap fix. They indicated that the silicone softens in the summer heat and the bond breaks. However, not one to be discouraged I asked if anyone has tried contact adhesive. Nope. Well I did that and the job looks nice and clean. Like you the surfaces were well cleaned and the bond was not stressed for 2 days. Will it still be holding a year from now, who knows but in the meanwhile the problem is solved albeit maybe only temporarily.

Reply to
Richard