Convertible top maintenence question

I just bought my first convertible, a 1988 Mustang. It is in really good shape and I would like to keep it that way. Any suggestions for keeping the top, including the hinges and mechanical parts, in good condition? So far I am loving having the top down in this beautiful Florida weather.

Liz the winch wench

Reply to
Liz

Howard Mora

Thanks for the advice and yes it is nice here in Florida. :) My dad, who lives in Oregon, has a 1998 Mustang convertible so now when winter comes I can call him and tell him I still have the top on mine down. I didn't miss the snow and cold before, but definitely won't miss it now that I have the convertible.

Liz the winch wench

Reply to
Liz

I was wondering if you have any idea how to keep the top material clean and protect it from the weather. Does it need any treatment like for example Armoral for the dashboard, do you know what I mean?

Reply to
Pepito

I was doing some research about that and kept finding lots of suggestions for a product called RaggTopp cleaner and protectant. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to be pretty popular. You can also find lots of other brands of convertible top cleaner/protectant at your local auto parts store.

Liz the winch wench

Reply to
Liz

Never use a harsh detergent/cleaner:

Like purple Power. Greased Lightening, Mean Green or any other caustic cleaners, a good grade car wash or Maguiars makes excellent products for convertible tops.

Do not use Armorall, as it is an oil based protectant, and attracts dust, use a drying, non film creating treatments: I.e..: Maguiars Convertible Top Dressing, or Any convertible product that is non oil based.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

convertible.

Reply to
Refinish King

Be sure and oil the lockdown mechanisms (the latches you operate by hand). The ones on my 89 were getting so hard to move the handle to latch I thought I was going to break them. A little oil and they work as easy as can be.

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
AZGuy

Thanks Liz and RK! I'll take a look at the local auto parts store to see what I can find. I have been washing it with car shampoo but it still looks kind of dry so I was wondering if there was something more protective for the tops. Thanks again.

Reply to
Pepito

I was actually wondering about lubricating the latches and hinges. I know oil based products are not good for the vinyl so I didn't want to just spray WD40 in there. Is there something I can use for that or should I just be really careful not to get the oil on the vinyl top? My husand and I are sailors and I was thinking possibly some of the dry lubricants they make for sailboats might work because they are made to lubricate boat and sail parts without damaging canvas sails so maybe they won't damage vinyl.

Liz the winch wench

Reply to
Liz

Plain motor oil type oil is fine. You just want to get it into any parts of the latch that moves or rubs on another part. Put lots in and then spend 5 minutes wiping the excess off as it drips out. I oiled mine a year ago when they could hardly be moved with two hands and they are still easy to move with finger tips still. Since you are oiling on the inside there is no reason it would even get on the top while you are oiling it and if you wipe it off it should never be a problem.

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
AZGuy

I've always used Teflon chain and gear lubricant made for bicycles. It comes in a small bottle with an applicator tip. It penetrates extremely well, leaves no residue, and doesn't cause dust buildup. I've been using the same small bottle for over 10 years, and it still feels full. A little goes a long way.

Reply to
John C.