Converting 4lug to 5

What parts do i need to change on my 86 mustang 4cyl to get it to 5lug. my neighbors friend just got new rims and tires for his mustang and he has the stock rims and rather new tires on there and he will give me a good deal on them.

Reply to
John W

There is a kit avaliable, I saw a tech article in Mustang Monthly about it a while back. It didn't look very complicated, but if I remember correctly it required also converting to rear disc brakes.

Reply to
EvilAllah(tm)

Reply to
John W

Try here for a real nice conversions,

Igot this setup with the Cobra brakes for my ride. I've not installed it allyet but will eventually. It is about half the price of the Ford Kit thoughit is used parts in most cases.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Buy a kit, it's much simpler. Otherwise, if you are brave...

If you don't mind shopping around, the easiest is to find a sn-95 donor in a scrap yard somewhere. You can either swap the entire rear end and front spindles or just the brake brackets and axels on the rear. Don't go for the lincoln set-up as those are not compatible with the latest wheels. The only thing that does not fit the new spindles is the ball joint nut! You'll need a stack of thick 12mm washers to get it to fit.

Don't forget to change the master cylinder with the sn-95 one if you do the rear disks otherwise you will end up with sloshy brakes (low pedal...). While you are at it grab the proportionning valve from the sn-95 it will save you from gutting yours and putting an adjustable one in the rear line, it's more trouble but cleaner (you have to re-do the lines...).

Hope this helps,

Serge

Reply to
Serge

On the front, use the rotors in the FRPP catalog. For the rear get two drivers side axles from a Ford Ranger. Make sure you get the same side, they are different lenghts. You'll need new drums, get them for the Ranger, too. Rangers had 10" drum brakes as an option, make sure you get the right size for your Mustang backing plates.

Don W

'82 CJ8 Scrambler AMC 360 T/F 727 Dana 300 One-piece model 20 rear Dana 30 front, upgraded to 6-bolt caliper and Warn hubs, awaiting locker

2" shackle lift/reversal 2" lift springs of unknown origin 33" Mickey's

And it finally runs!!!!!

Reply to
Don Wallish

check the J.C. whitney catalog,, dont know if they still sell them, but years ago they had adapters for the volkswagon 4 lugs to 5 lug nut things that they sold so you can put 5 lug wheels on a 4 lug car... hope this helps. i think it is

jim

These rotors have a large center/bearing cap that prevents the use of newer wheels (cobra r, cobra and other 17 in...). This is the cheep way to do it but you have to make sure the wheels you want to use can be fitted to those rotors...

2 cents

Serge

Reply to
Serge