Coolant Leak, Maybe Cracked Manifold?

I have a '97 GT 4.6, 49,000 mi with an annoying coolant leak. Annoying in the fact that I can't find it. There are no puddles, drips or signs of any leaks but yet I hafta add coolant about once a week. I can smell coolant with the engine running but don't see anything even remotely wet. I did some research and have come up with the manifold cracking probs others have had and I'm wondering what the symptoms are. The car seems to run fine, no probs with perfomance at all. When the manifold cracks, it it catastrophic engine failure or does your coolant just slowly "dissapear"? I did notice some white smoke coming from the tailpipes the other day and since we're still a few months from colder weather I know it wasn't the ambient temps. Please help, car is still under warranty (30 days) from the lot I bought it from. Thanx in advance, Trotzo

Reply to
trotzo

I had an MGB with a cracked cylinder head gasket. Water was leaking into the cyclinders and would come out the exhaust. When running, I could hold my hand over the exhaust and my palm would come away wet, with water.

That's just for what it's worth.

Reply to
PocoLoco

Reply to
trotzo

Condensation?

Reply to
Richard

Sounds like you have the infamous intake manifold leak. Some of these cars were recalled because of it. Some of them were not. There are replacements that are reinforced to fix this problem. They are available from the dealer and the aftermarket. Both will fix this problem, it's your choice, but you better get this fixed. Didja buy your car from a used car place? Good luck getting this fixed under any "used car place" warranty. Dorman is one of the aftermarket manufacturers. Also, the puddle from the muffler area is common condensation. Most all Ford cars have it and it's nothing to worry about.

Reply to
Kruse

I know..... The day I got the car they swore the brakes were done, and didn't they start grinding a week later? Rear rotors were shot as well. Made them change the brakes, rotors, and coolant (had the "rumble strip" shudder). Boy, are they gonna be happy when I call 'em tomorrow and tell 'em I need a new intake manifold =) I already had them look into it for the coolant leak, the mechanic (or moron, u pick it) told me "should be fine, I tightened the clamps for ya"

Reply to
trotzo

Before my '97 had the intake manifold water passage go, and it did fail in a castrophic manner there wasnt enough coolant loss to be concerned about. Just what one would expect over long periods of time.

Look in the valley between the cylinders and at the manifold underneath behind the alternator.

Reply to
Brent P