Cops Running Radar At Night With Lights Off?

Is it legal for cops to be shooting radar at night parked along side the road without their headlights or parklights on?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Is this another way of saying you got pulled over by a lawman? :-0

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

May be legal but sounds pretty dangerous.

Reply to
Gumby

Probably, but damn stupid of them to step out in front of you to flag you over.

Reply to
Richard

In most civilian jurisdictions YES it is. Most military posts don't (did not) allow it though...

But if you obey all traffic laws, it won't have any effect on you... :-)

Reply to
351CJ

Not in NY. They must have at their markers/parking lights on in proximity to driving lanes, U-turns, etc.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Ain't nothin' cuter than a young'un what got busted and is fishin' for straws. If you were speeding, bite the bullet and pay the fine..... if it turns you into a pedestrian it means you had lots of warnings.

Sorry I can't be more sympatheic but it is up to motorists to reduce the carnage on our highways.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Not necessarily true, since it's virtually impossible to obey *every* vehicular law all the time (especially those pesky contradictory ones...).

Reply to
Garth Almgren

BULLSHIT! It is virtually impossible to get a ticket for violating a traffic law if you strictly adhere to not only the "letter of the law" but also the "spirit of the law". Then even if you are ticketed for one of those "pesky contradictory laws", you will have legal grounds to be found innocent.

Reply to
351CJ

You did not mention what the violation was, ie X in a X zone Five over and 50 over make a big difference. .

Legal or not depends upon the jurisdiction, which varies all over the place. It's pretty much accepted that it's not legal to hide, such as being hidden behind brush, trees, billboards (like the cartoons), etc. But what you describe is not "hiding". He possibly "forgot" to turn the switch another click. Just as many cops learned years ago to pull the plug on a headlight, and pull someone over. If the violator says something, you just say thank you, go back fiddle with it until the light works. You give them the cite anyway. After they are gone, you pop the connection again. What's the last thing you expect to see.... a cop driving around with a headlight out. And that ain't hidin'.

Traffic conditions, weather conditions, time of day, etc, can all have an affect on whether you get stopped or not. You could be cruising on the freeway at 85 and as long as you are flowing with the traffic, you probably would not get stopped. But, if you are weaving in and out trying to get ahead of the pack, you are asking to be pulled over.

I'd say, nine times out of 10, I knew when I walked up whether I was going to issue a cite or a warning. BUT, "attitude" could very quickly cause me to change what I was writing, subsequently increasing the severity of the offense.

By the way, if you are worried about a local c>Is it legal for cops to be shooting radar at night parked along side

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

It should be, you're right. Too bad it happens all the time.

Heck, if you drive *perfectly* you can easily be pulled over for driving suspiciously (eg. obeying the speed limit or using your turn signals when nobody else is), and once you're pulled over, it would be a poor cop indeed that wouldn't be able to either find something or make something up to ticket you for.

Well, *I* would think so, but apparently many judges (and most cops) don't agree.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

You're right there.... All I had to do was follow someone long enough and they would make a mistake. And things like rollong stops? Try to prove in court that your wheels came to a complete stop against a cops word they didn't. Even the most perfect driver makes mistakes.

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

Although I'm cute (at least my wife of twenty plus years thinks so) I'm hardly a young'un.

Sorry Jim, I don't care to pay extra taxes. After all, the vast majority of speeding tickets written are about nothing more than collecting revenue. Because if they were truly concerned with safety, they'd be nailing the folks who never use there blinkers to change lanes, following so close you'd think they were practicing for NASCAR, or kick the un-maintained junk off the road that still qualifies as safe transportation.

How so?

Jim, while speeds have increased the number of fatalities have decreased.

Here's my story. It's 4:30 AM and I'm driving in to work. Decent weather. Driving my usual 75 mph in a 65. The highway is just nearing the city. A sign says reduce speed. The following sign says

55 mph. And the next sign again says reduce speed, followed by a 45 mph sign. These four signs are all in an area that is surrounded by thick forest on one side and a small baseball diamond on the other side that's set way back and is a crossed the other side of the divided highway. In other words, there's nothing out there, except, of course, the cop parked along side the road, facing traffic, with her lights off. Basically, it's shooting fish out of a barrel time. In this stretch of highway, she can get any car she wants. I back off at about the 55 mph sign, so when it turns to 45 mph I'm still doing
  1. Though I still had another 21 mphs to lose, I still have more than plenty of space before I get to anything that looks even like city.

Comments?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Yes. It is legal for them to conceal themselves behind briges etc. as well, although it's just a sleazy way to pump revenue into the system.

There was > Is it legal for cops to be shooting radar at night parked along side

Reply to
Wound Up

Correct, stupid people need to be removed and the test and qualifications need to be ten times more stringent. Then high quality drivers can go 90-140 MPH on the interstate while at the same time the "carnage" as you put it is dropped to less than 1/4 of what it is now. This is assuming you don't realize that in "accidents" where speed is listed as the factor, it is actually the second number in the combination of the factor. The first number is ignorance/stupidity/lack of skill.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Now that's about really stupid....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

"Hey, WTF was that???"

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

This is very odd... Mike agreed with me, and I agree with you. It must REALLY be a cold day in Hell.

There should be grades of license or something, with vision, reaction time, and completion of high-speed driving training factoring in to these grades. The best grades can drive the fastest, but are also held to higher standards.

Reply to
Wound Up

Technically... when you got to the sign that said 55mph, the laws says your are supposed to be at 55 or less. Not to begin dropping from the point when you reach the sign.

Shoot>

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

You know what I think is ridiculous? Cops standing with lidar (laser) speedguns in hand on the roadside, mainly because they're... standing on the side of a highway. Also, the "taking aim" stance was a little unnerving the first time I saw it 8-)

Has any> Technically... when you got to the sign that said 55mph, the laws says

Reply to
Wound Up