Couple of questions on 5.0

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone here can help me with a few things I'd like to address with my car. The 2 issues are gas mileage and engine temp. I've read the posts on gas mileage, and seem to think mine falls a bit under the expected "normal" range for what I've done. I have a 90 GT that has Edelbrock aluminum heads, 1.7 rockers, Edelbrock intake, 70mm throttle body, 24lb injectors, 155lph fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, 73mm MAS, unequal shorty headers, ect. Prior to making the head and related fuel changes, I could easily get about 250 miles on a tank of gas. Now I consider myself lucky if I reach

200. Is this much of a change, given the mods I've done, within normal limits? My driving habits are the same as before the mods. My foot didn't gain weight. Would the addition of a custom chip help in this regard? It's about the only thing left I haven't done that I considered.

My next question is about engine temp. Ever since the change to the aluminum heads, I notice more sensitivity to ambient temperature. Before the change I could be stuck in rush hour traffic in 95 degree heat, and the temp wouldn't even hit the half-way mark. Ever since the new heads I notice it can creep up nearly 3/4 on the gauge under those circumstances, but soon falls back to between 1/4 and

1/2 when I get driving again. My cooling system got an upgrade with a 3-core radiator, Edelbrock aluminum water pump, and a 180-degree thermostat. Should I also consider the addition of an auxiliary fan? All my stuff works, and so far despite the horrid climate this summer I've never had an overheat.

I just want to ensure I can benefit fully from the things I've done, so your input is very much appreciated. The car runs fine...no issues of driveability. Thanks, and regards.

Randy

90 GT

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

I assume you had the mass air calibrated for the 24 lb injectors. If not, you're running rich and thats bad for mileage.

Something is wrong if the temp rises like that. I have a 331 stroker and use the stock radiator, stock thermostat, and a Stewart water pump. The temp NEVER rises over 1/3 of the gauge. With the Aluminum radiator and the smaller engine, you should be way better off than me.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall