Cowl Induction Hood for 94-98 series

I'm interested in replacing the stock hood on my '94 GT convertible with a cowl induction hood, mostly because I like the look of it. I don't know much about modifications and need advice from someone who does. There seem to be several sellers, so it's a pretty popular thing to do.

A guy at the Ford dealership warned me that swapping out the stock hood would be a bad mistake because at highway speed, with the cowl induction hood the Mustang will begin to shimmy. He said the aerodynamics are wrong and the Mustang wasn't designed for stability with a taller hood.

I don't know what to make of this since there are stock Cobra hoods with roughly the same shape but obviously that's no problem for those.

Would somebody here who's done this or knows someone who has please give me some advice? The car's in the shop for repair of some front end damage, so this is my easiest opportunity to make a switch but I need to decide pretty quickly.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Qwebbil

Sounds like someone doesn't want to lose his mark up on a replacment hood to me. Have you seen the Cerveni's Cowl cowl induction hood? It follows the lines of the stock hood only comes up a little taller.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

That looks like a good source to buy the hood and it has a nice look. You may well be right about the motivation of the guy at the dealership trying to worry me about the high speed shimmy. Wonder if anyone else ever heard of this shimmying story.

Thanks! Always follow the money!

Steve

(Had to answer from a different account.)

Reply to
Steve Richardson

I think it's a load of BS. For that cowl to affect anything, you're going to have to go well over 100 MPH. Even at that, I can see where there may be some added wind resistance at high speeds due to the open space between the hood and the windshield, but there should be no shimmying nor any discernable problem with going fast, be it straight or in the turns.

Besides, the hood is held down by two hinges (moveable) and a front latch (also somewhat moveable). That's it. Your hood will start shaking and vibrating well before the whole car does.

JS

Reply to
JS

Thanks for your post.

I'm going to go ahead with it. Turns out that although I didn't realize it, the body shop was going to get some parts through the Ford dealership, so the dealership did have a stake in my sticking with the stock hood. Always follow the money.

I appreciate the guidance.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Richardson