!!! Custom Mustangs selling for 100K plus !!!

Hi All,

I was just curious. Custom Stangs are currently selling for over $100,000

Shelby GT500E and GT350SR, Rad Rides by Troy's Fastforward Fatback, MIB by DVS, etc...

How do you feel about these cars and do you think they are worth the price of admission???

Bob

65 Fastback
Reply to
Robert Julian Jr.

Sounds too expensive. You could buy a Mach-1, blueprint the engine, supercharge it, work the suspension and do it for around $45,000. Even give it a bottle of nitrous (like the overprice Elinor)for another $1k or less. Why pay for a "name" car?

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

Fahgeddaboutit

For 100k you could buy a Ferrari Daytona or a Maserati Ghibli Spyder. Those cars have a defined resale value and are likely to appreciate. Not to mention they are an awesome ride. Much better than a mere Rad ride.

Try to sell Eleanor next month and learn the meaning of "getting a haircut"

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

ROTFLMAO

Interesting comment in regard to Troy. I think you must be referencing the entire "Custom Hot Rod" and "Custom Car" industry as a whole. Troy, as well as other top notch fabricators, does some really increadable work. Not only do they look great, but they function just as good as they look.

Also, in regard to "investing" in an automobile, to borrow a phrase...

Fahgeddaboutit....

Anyone who buys an automobile as an investment usually does poorly as compared to other forms of investment. Even cars like 65 GT350's or Hemi Cuda's or Dusenburgs for that matter are poor investments compaired to the "average" return of the stock market (same cash investment over the same amount of time).

The people who do really well in any collector market are those who buy based on desire. If you really love the item... If it is something that you just have to have... If your life will somehow seam incomplete without it... Then buy it. Even if it does not apprichiate in value, the joy of ownership will more than offset any financial issues. It is also interesting to note that these are the types of purchases that do well in the collector marketplace. It is this intangable desire that drives people to spend more than they shouda coulda or normally woulda on any collectable.

In regard to "Eleanor" I am in agreement across the board as to this car in general. I like the GT350SR, but the Eleanor does not motivate me at all. As far as getting a harcut goes, the same can be said for a lot of current auto's

About 8 years ago, a friend of mind bought a Viper and trailered it to his house where it sat in a special garage set up just for this car. He sold it last month with just 4 miles on the odometer. 4 MILES!!!! When all was said and done he sold it for exactly what he paid for it. How would you like to place over $80,000 in an investment and have exactly the same after 8 years. Not to mention the financing fees on the loan. He thought he had made a safe "investment". Just goes to show you that there is no such thing.

Bob

65 Fastback

SNIP...

Reply to
Robert Julian Jr.

SNIP...

Hi Rich,

So, you are telling me that you could go out and buy a Mach-1. Completely disassemble the car. Have it media blasted (or dipped) to bare metal. Professionally replace or repair any structural / body defects. Detail every last nut and bolt to factory specs. Re-assemble the car. Buff and polish it to perfection. And then sell it for $45,000???

I will take two. :-)

Bob

65 Fastback
Reply to
Robert Julian Jr.

I think he is refering to a 2003 Mach1.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

I was not impugning Troy's skill in any way. Fabricators have my complete respect. A lot of what they produce does not float my boat, but I am in awe of their skill with a hammer and shotbag.

Who said anything about investing.

We are in complete agreement. You make investments so you can afford to blow the money on toys. Cars are not a way to accumulation of wealth. But we can talk about enjoying a car hobby with some consideration for money.

Consider that you have $100k in your pocket to spend on a toy car (I don't but its fun to pretend). Goal: Buy a car, drive it enjoy it and then change to a new car in 5 years.

Which choice will leave you more money to buy the next car in 5 years.

  1. Buy a one off custom from Troy.
  2. Buy a clean well sorted Maserati spyder (They made 140 or so of them).

Sell this car in 5 years

I submit that there is less financial risk to you on path 2. That was my original point.

Option 3 is an even better way of buying a car in 5 years but it is not as much fun.

  1. Invest money in stock market. or real estate etc Take it out in 5 years, buy car.

I agree. Drive 'em. Death to garage queens!!!!

If he had bought a USED but cherry 60's Ferrari he would have done better than flat, and he would have enjoyed the use of the car.

All cars go thru a similar price life cycle.

Car is introduced with XXXX MSRP. There is a frenzy over car. Dealers are adding 10 to 20 percent markup. or more (See upcoming Ford GT for this scenario)

Demand settles, new cars sell at MSRP

Used cars begin a cycle of depreciation. ALL CARS DO IT. The rate of depreciation may vary.

At some point the cars are selling for 2o-25% of new. The prices will start to rise if the car is considered "collectable"

The price rise may not match inflation, it will almost certainly not match other investments, but the time of 10% annual depreciation is gone.

The time to buy a toy is when the cars are nearing the bottom of this price curve.

Sometimes I follow my advice, sometimes I ignore it.

Erich

66 coupe pd $1600 in 1978 still have the car 69 Mach1 428 Cobrajet $6500 bought in 1988 66 Sunbeam Tiger $tooo much in 2001
Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Opps.... :-)

My Mistake.

Bob

65 Fastback

SNIP...

Reply to
Robert Julian Jr.

This is such good advice. Every new instant collectible that comes out, some new suckers think the rules of have changed. But so far, they haven't. On the other hand, it's pretty gut wrenching when prices start rocketing up and you still haven't accumulated enough wealth to buy whatever it was. You can be too early or too late.

Reply to
Joe