Damn Convert boot

Reply to
Michael Seeley

Anyone know the TSB number on this??? It is a pain for sure and hope they make a change to the boot on the 04's.

Gerry Ft Collins, Co.

Reply to
Gerry

On new boots, I usually let them sit out in the hot sun for a few hours, then stretch them to fit. Two days of this, and it will slip on like a tight glove...............

Bill S.

billrk wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Hey Bill! I had the same problem with mine. I found a website that had the general TSB number and took it to the dealer to look it up. The complaint was that the boot did not fit properly. The fix was to move the snaps on the car (would leave holes where they used to be), but the dealer didn't want to do that since it would be "modifying the body". Total BS is what it boiled down to.

My fix was this: Instead of putting the rubber lip down into the slot on the back of the rear seat, I slipped it under the slot. This makes you push the back of the boot down under the plastic molding making the boot slant down more towards the front of the car. Once the boot is under the plastic molding (sides and rear), then fasten the snaps. Now the rubber lip on the boot is secured under the plastic slot and the boot won't fly off at freeway speeds. I've tested it up to 85mph (speed limit here is 60-70mph). Have fun!

Another option is shell out about $110 bucks for the mini-tonneau cover that covers the entire back seat and gives your Vert a two-seat sport car look. It is fastened with 6 snaps and I even think it has a couple of straps fitted with seatbelt tongues that would get fasten into the seatbelt latches in the back seat. I think Kate got one. If so, she can tell you more about how it fastens to the car.

Reply to
Greg B.

Hey Greg.. yup, that's what I got! After having one of the factory covers blow off at 80+ on the freeway, and the general frustration with them not fitting right, this is how I solved the problem:

at the bottom photo. It covers the complete back seat, thus protecting your headliner AND the leather in back and never budges. Also makes a good secure place to tuck things under (like jackets) when you are running with the top down. kind of a challenge to get on when it's cool outside, but works like a champ and folds up neatly to fit in your trunk.

It has little plastic pieces that tuck under the molding that runs along the perimeter of the opening, and clips that grip into the seatbelt slots.

You can usually find them on Ebay. if not, they are a Ford part, I could hunt down the number.

Kate

| > Thanks in advance for the help. | >

| > Bill | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Here's a link to Cal Mustang for the cover....

Anyone know where to buy one for a Gen II ??

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert 64 Falcon HT Hot Rod Project

Check out the Ford Engine Heaven!

Katmandu

Wonder what the difference between the one at

for $100 and theone at California Mustang for ($194) is???? Gerry

Ft Collins, Co

Reply to
Gerry

The real pain is going to be having to see the original post for another two months....... can we check the dates on our computers the odd time?

Reply to
Jim Warman

Umm...about $94 bucks?

Reply to
Greg B.

The TSB is for pre-2002.5 Mustangs. They changed the type of snap used on the front corners of the boot.

All Mustangs made after about 1/2 through the 2002 model year, and all made > There is a TSB on them. I have the same problem. I just don't use mine, Same

Reply to
Walt

I agree.

I unfolded m> On new boots, I usually let them sit out in the hot sun for a few hours,

Reply to
Walt

Reply to
Walt

I unfolded the boot and let it sit flat over the course of the winter. That seemed to help a lot.

In putting it on, I hold the boot perpendicular (straight up), and insert the flap into the slot behind the rear seat back. I then rotate the boot flat making sure the flap stays inserted. Next, I tuck the edge in around the molding. Last, I snap the snaps. That seems to work, and it says put.

BTW, when I compla> What Install sequence (method) do the rest of you Vert owners use ?? >

Reply to
Walt

Whew! I'm relieved I'm not the only 'vert driver having trouble getting the boot to fit right. Thought it was my lack of experience/finesse with topless vehicles. I'll try that "leave it out in the [summer West Texas] sun for a while" to try to get the lumps & wrinkles out of it.

Reply to
C Green

me too, but the only thing is the front 8 inches or so of the headliner is discolored a bit from the sunlight's UV rays.

not *real* bad, but, if the boot was on, it wouldn't happen.

Personally though, I like the ability to just hit the switch and close er up when I want to...

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

One IMPORTANT thing a boot will do, is protect the headliner from sun, and fading and rot. Unfortunately, the previous owner(s) of both of my verts didn't realize this. On both cars the headliners are/were ruined (in my opinion, faded, is ruined) and they are not at all cheap to replace.

Kate

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

good point, i think that the boot is important to use most of the time in the sun, because it really does make it fade if you don't.

thing about the new style boot is ('02-up?) - its a good design for ease of stowage and removal, but it is just not secured very well, and that is dangerous at speed. i am thinking about writing a letter to ford about the safety aspect.

even though the older style boot was a bitch to stow in that bag and all, it used less trunk space (flat) and was very secure even at speed.

dang if i had only known ahead of time, i would have kept the one off of my

96 before trading - the dealer probably would have never noticed!
Reply to
Christopher Shea

When you write to Ford maybe you can recommend they add a piece of vinyl to the inside of the top, just covering the part that is exposed to the sun when you put the top down, thus eliminating the fading some of you care about :) This would reduce the need to even have a boot.

Reply to
Scotter

The one I have folds up nicely. It's all vinyl, and folds up to about the size and thickness of an old feather pillow.you can tueck it behind a seat if you need to .. it's great!

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate