Data Plate and Driving Impressions - '66 Mustang

My '68 Coronet had the buildsheet under the rear seat when I purchased the car. The original owner never knew it was there.

In researching my Data Plate on my '66 Mustang, the first field is obscured somewhat and the first digit, or letter, is covered by the rivet.

My question(s) is, did Ford include a "build sheet" like Chrysler? Did Ford have the Data Plate info anywhere else on the car?

Thanks in advance

-The '66 is back on the road for the first time in 12 years!-

I drove the car from Los Angeles up to Ventura on Saturday. 60 miles of semi-busy freeway driving. With the brakes as they are it was an interesting ride indeed. As to the ride, since the shocks are toast and every bit of rubber in the front suspension may as well not be there, it gave new meaning to the term, "Float like a butterfly". ;-)

I'm still not sold on keeping it. My family would prefer that I keep it in the family as a tribute to the Grandparents but I don't know if I have the time or energy to do the work needed myself and I do know I don't have the extra cash to have the needed work done by others.

Here's some pics of the car in the driveway, safe at home:

I changed the oil, put in new premium gas, changed the brake fluid, power steering fluid, and anti-freeze. The plugs and points were good, as was the cap, rotor, and the plug wires. I wasn't able to check timing or dwell. I'm thinking my Grandmother had the car tuned-up shortly before parking it in the garage. The years were not kind to the Holley and it's been kinda hard to get the car to idle smoothly but it does with the revs up just a bit. Gas mileage to Ventura was around 14 and a half. I suspect if it could idle at spec revs that would have been much better.

The suspension and brake issues make the car unsafe at the moment. Shocks, a brake job, bushings, and new tires are first on the to-do list. Also, I noticed a leak from one of the tranny lines up front that needs some attention. I think this was an issue prior to my Grandparents parking the car as the undercarriage has a pretty good amount of oil/tranny fluid/grease build-up.

Another question:

The car did not come with power brakes, gas adjust shocks, or Urethane bushings.. I'd like to keep it stock but I'm thinking about converting to pb as I'm pretty sure they were offered as an option, and upgrading the shocks and bushings. If I did, would this "greatly" adversely effect the value or would it be no biggie? Probably best to keep it stock but those non-power brakes aren't fun anymore, if they ever were. Took me a while to get used to them again.

Any input would be appreciated.

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

I found build sheet of my '66 Mustang behind instrument panel attached to wireharness.

Reply to
Ari

Wow. It'd be amazing if the thing is still there after all those years. That being said, I was amazed the buildsheet was still under the rear seat of my Corenet, and in pretty good shape too.

I'll check in the AM.

Thanks for the clue. :-)

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

Your car could have had power brakes. there are a few folks who reproduce the original style booster and bracket. There are several after market kits that work well. As to value unless the car is 100% bonafide stock thorough bred show car. Upgardes will not adversely affect the value of the car, in most cases it will enhance the saleability. More buyers means higher price. KYB gas shocks are the shock of choice on the 64-68 vintage cars, they seems to work the best (#kg4517 front and #kg5517 for rear) avoid the low pressure replacements (gr-2, sensa trac ect.) Instead of urethane bushings for front sway bar, you can get a 1" bar with all bushing and new hardware from most vendors for under $100.00

The first digit on the data plate (door tag) is most likely a 6 either the beginning of the serial number or the body style. in the first line 6 indicates model year in the second line the body codes are 63 fastback 65 coupe on in the case of convertible 76. If you are speaking of the build tag or buck tag under the hood. the first letter could be anything. Either way is you send me all the numbers in the order they appear with spaces, I can probably decode most if not all of the information for you.

Reply to
walt peifer

Which factory was it built at--if San Jose, then it's not likely to have a build sheet. I've heard of as many as four build sheets being found in cars from other factories, especially Metuchen. Places where they have been found include in the underdash wiring harness, under the carpet, attached to the seats, and under the headliner, to name the main areas.

----------- Laurie S. Thunder Snake #7

Reply to
Laurie S.

My dad, who sold Fords in the SF Bay Area, said to always look in the seat springs unde the seat.

Reply to
Spike

It was San Jose, darn it. ;-)

Thanks for the response.

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

I have decoded most of it. The info about the first field is a great help.

Thanks for the tips on parts, etc. It is probably the way I'll go. The longer the car sits in the driveway, the more my wife is making noises about not selling it. ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

The car was built in San Jose so he may have sold a bunch of these. I'll look in all the obvious places.

Thanks

Reply to
Jeff Mayner