Dealership Repair records

Hi, I am curious does dealerships keep a record of all repairs done to a car at that dealership and IF SO, can a person who had the repairs done get a copy of the receipt? Just curious.... Thanks Willy D.

Reply to
Will D

Yes.... record keeping is a standard part of good accounting (silly question as far as that part goes). Current warranty repairs are generally accessable through OASIS. All repair records are routinely archived (put in big cardboard boxes) and stored as good as possible.

Are the records available....... probably. Will there be a charge to access older records..... well - someone will spend time looking.....

Should a consumer be expected to retain these records on their own......... I think the answer to that is pretty obvious....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Additionally, most dealers have the repair history retained on their dealer computer network. It's as simple as punching up the vehicle (or customer) number and printing out the history.

"Jim Warman" wrote in news:l518d.3676$j24.3113@clgrps12:

Reply to
Joe

Perhaps if it suits them.......... ;)

In 1986, my Bronco II's 4sp manual transmission destroyed itself. At the time, Ford had a "lifetime repair" program, where any repair you paid for was guaranteed forever. Well, being that this was a pos Mazda light duty trans, I had Ford do it, and it failed twice more.

The last time it went, the Bronco had about 150K on it, and I returned it to my local Ford dealer with 4 bald tires, front end parts nearly hanging off, no exhaust behind the cat, and leaking oil from everywhere. I told the service writer that the transmission had the lifetime repair done there in 1986, and again two years later. They called me at work that afternoon to tell me they didn't have any record of any transmission work being done, and suggested it was time to replace the vehicle.

I returned the next day with the full itemized bill from their shop. The writer inspected it, and suggested I leave the receipt with him. You can guess what my answer was......

John

66 2+2
Reply to
John Del

John Del opined

Hah.... you should have had him write out that request... bet his face would go gray. or red.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Oh yeah, repair facilities tend to develop amnesia when it comes to 'lifetime warranties'.

Here's a good one. The cash register receipt paper given out at Autozone's are deliberately designed so that the printing disappears in about 2 years. (Along with their record of that sale, I'm sure!) If you just file it away and forget about it, you can also forget about ever being able to cash in on that 'lifetime warranty' bullshit as well. Always photocopy all receipts and staple the original to it before filing it away, or you will be buying it all over again.

Some 'lifetime warranties' I've seen in the past have strings attached. Big O used to offer lifetime alignments for $50 bucks. Problem was, buried deep in the mice-type was a clause the voided it if you ever had suspension work of any kind done at another shop, or did it yourself. And they covertly marked everything when they have it up on the rack to verify this.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

I don't know if this would be of any help, but Ford has a web "log" that you can access if any work was done by a Ford Dealership. Go to myfordvehicles.com and you can enter the info about your ford vehicles by VIN number. Then you can lookup work done at any dealership plus add things that you do yourself and keep track that way. I think there might even be maintenance reminders you can set up if you need help remembering things.

GAry

Reply to
Gary

Here is the actual link: