Desperate Ford Runs Fictional Ad For That Rattletrap Mustang

Cobra "blowing away" Ferraris and Porsches on the autobahn in Germany....

You can have all of the HP you want, YOU STILL NEED TO ADDRESS POWER/WEIGHT, AERODYNAMICS, HANDLING & BRAKING. Detroit always FAILS MISERABLY at all four.

This is why a) this ad is based on fiction

b) America STILL cannot build real sports cars

c) YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. A $28,000 Ford is only as good as a $28,000 car can be.

Stop trying to pretend you're getting "value". It does NOT EXIST when you try to compare European or Japanese sports cars to the wannabe crap Detroit churns out every year.

If you are a NASCAR, pls disregard-- as this is WAY over your heads.

Reply to
senna

What does this have to do with alt.sports.football.pro.ny-jets?

Reply to
Rich - ® ©

Ads are ALL based on "hype".... the great dream....

Much like Big Macs "taste good"

Much like "tatses like delivery"

Much like your deodorant makes you a chick magnet....

Without marketing hype, we would all have to base our experience on what we like rather than what we think other people would like us to like....

It's a frickin' advertisement ferkrissakes....take that cucumber out of your pocket and buy a new Mustang.

If the styling isn't to your liking (and here's a little secret) buy something else.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Gosh, we haven't seen one of these posts in ages! And from someone who has at least some entry-level automotive knowledge & writing skills, then they used a very eye-catching thread title, caps for good effect, PLUS they crossposted. Well done! Bravo! We'll give you a 7 out of

10 on the ol' meter.

Lots of variables here. To name just three:

1) Model years of Porshes and Ferraris

I saw a [Magnum PI] Ferrari get shut down twice by a certain '87

5-liter LX. :-)

2) Start/end speeds of races

The GT500 is electronically limited to 160mph.

3) Drivers

Soft/slow shifting and starting a race in the wrong gear can make a big difference.

Wild generalization. Hopefully this person will give us some examples and comparisions.

Corvette Z06 Dodge Viper Ford GT

Detroit stacked up pretty well in a recent Road Track comparision with some Europeon brands. And Detroit destroyed them when price was a factor.

But you got to love it when $28K (GT) or $40K Mustang (Shelby) smokes a higher-priced performance car! Anyone got some stories to tell?

Instead of a $25K Mustang GT you'd rather have a...? (Watch... if they reply the answer will be a car with a price tag over $25K.)

The assumption NASCAR = Detroit or Mustang. Bad assumption. I for one think NASCAR sucks! Plus, Toyota/Japan is going NASCAR.

Patrick '93 Mustang

Reply to
NoOption5L

And this was cross posted to the Giants NG because....?

Reply to
Bleeding Blue

Don't forget the transmission. Americans always skimp on that, as well.

You merely have to drive a Euro or Japanese sports car - not even at high speed- to know the difference.

The problem is, these "buy-American" flag-waver types only drive domestic (another reason that ad is laughable).

Reply to
senna

Reply to
razz

Magazine racer, no doubt.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

"Bleeding Blue" wrote in news:gzHch.9759$k% snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.lga:

Becuase the OP is an idiot?

Reply to
elaich

It's painfully obvious from your post that you haven't gotten with 10 yards of the new Mustang of any stripe.

It's also painfully obvious that you'd have no use for a performance automobile, down on Christian Street in South Philly. You wouldn't know what to do with a real car.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Here's one. Saturday a new Shelby with Nitto ??? very sticky rear tires was able to turn a 13.8 here. A decent SRT4 Neon or Mitsubishi Evolution (One ran 12.8's all day) could feed it lunch:) But the Mustang was beautiful.

About those Nitto tires. What ever they are, man are they sticky. They were completely covered with pebbles after coming back. We were running brand new Hoosier's, after two passes I touched both tires, the Nitto's were way stickier. So, how long do they last on the street, 2,000 miles?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Reply to
razz

I didnt see that Cobra blowing any of those away... nor did I get the impression that was the object.

They do?

Show us a $28,000 European car that can match a slightly set-up GT on the straight and curves

And that is why Daimler laughed at Henry and the model T.

The ad must have struck a chord... the pimple face dreams of a big-time Ferrari or Posche on the autobahn. thinking he would draw attention .

And just realized because of that commercial that no one would even turn their heads.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

or Posche on the autobahn. thinking he would draw attention

You're more likely to draw attention with a Mustang on the german Autobahn then driving a Porsche... A Ferrari is a toss-up.

Afterall... Mustangs aren't sold in Europe through the mainstream channels. If you want a Porsche, it's not THAT hard to find a dealer that sells them. Again, Ferrari's are a toss-up.

Mustangs on european roads are more abundant then Ferrari's... But still way less abundant then Porsches.

Meh... I should get my Mustang over the border next summer or so and see what she's capable of :P

Neko-

Reply to
Neko-

Because the original poster is an idiot/troll.

Reply to
Michael

The Shelby can do better than that, hell, I did a 13.2 on KDWS RAIN tires, and I'm a crappy driver.

Reply to
GILL

Hey, Neko!

I'm sure everyone in the states has seen teh 'advert' but here it is, anyway

Backyard Mechanic

Yabut, but butt but, but, those speed density cars were wicked mean. Dude....

Reply to
WindsorFox

What is a 40 year old toyota or subaru worth today I wonder. And which one of the Imports helped to start a Musclecar Industry Revolution? AC was'nt european 40 years ago, and it wasnt imported either.This guy has a right to his opinion but my guess is he hasn't set foot on foriegn soil his short sheltered life.Nor do I believe that he's owned a car without his folks siging for, or just buying it. If he's baseing his outlook on his own experience, then maybe he ought to put down the Video games and find a job to be able to afford a test trive in one.

Michael wrote:

Reply to
Cobra65K

I already figured it was that commercial :)

Yeah, seen it a while ago. Also saw one with the black Stang with the golden strips and two cops hauling the owner off to the bureau... Just not yet :P

I did mean what I said tho. Porsches are one in a bundle here... Mustangs are pretty rare. Ferrari's are arguably much rarer. But that probably also has to do with the pricing.

As cheap as you get a Mustang in the US from the dealer is impossible pricing here. Moreso since it also contains some of the costs for the actual transport to here, aswell as the government raising some taxes on the vehicle (damn them).

Still... Porsche pricing is still higher then the Mustang. And Ferrari just tops it all based solely on the brand 'Ferrari'. The head-turning value of the Ferrari is probably higher then the Mustang, but both outdo the Porsche easily. Porsche's are just around on the road too much to really capture the attention.

Neko-

Reply to
Neko-