Detonation in '95 GT

Hi,

I have a problem with my '95 Mustang. Few minutes after it starts, when below 2000 RPM in 1,2 or 3 gear, engine loses power. If I fully press the throttle, I can hear something like an explosion in exhaust and the car pulls back and forth. After a second or two it gets the power back. Also, from time to time the check engine light comes on. It's about 0 degrees celsius here.

I recently replaced fuel pump, spark plugs and wires but it didn't help. What next?

Reply to
Tomek Dudziak

Um, how about read the engine check code?

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Rein

That doesn't sound like detonation to me. More like backfiring.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

The code was 172 HEGO lean, right side. Suspecting the sensor, I disconnected the HEGO fuse this morning. Light came up after a minute, but there were no power problems. After a while the light went off. Does it mean that sensors got warm anyway and started working? Should I order new sensors?

Reply to
Tomek Dudziak

I had this exact prob. with my 95 GT. I replaced the temp sensor, car ran/idled so much better. No more check engine lights. The temp sensor was grounding itself.

Reply to
RioRedGT