Detroit Returning To Rear-Wheel Drive?

Yes, it looks like it's starting to happen. I'm sure by now everyone has heard about Diamler Chrysler's upcoming hemi-powered rear-drive (RWD) sedans. Well, I've been hearing rumours for a couple years that GM has been considering offering some lower-cost RWD cars. It looks like these rumours are getting closer to reality. I just ran a crossed this little snip of info:

"FRANKFURT -- General Motors is expected to decide by year end whether to build a range of V-8 powered, rear-wheel-drive cars in North America."

The vehicle being talked about is a five-door RWD hatchback with a

340ish horsepower 5.7 liter.

I think GM is going to do it, and here's why. BMW's upcoming 1 Series is expected to be a low $20K RWD car. Porshe is also considering building a "low-cost" sedan, to probably compete with BMW's 1 series. Plus, I think Detroit has realized that in order to beat/compete Accords and Camrys you need to offer something they don't have. And that something is RWD.

Thoughts...?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

The current level of technology is getting to the point where automakers may begin to offer the traditional line up again without taking a huge hit on CAFE. Technology also can compensate for years of people driving FWD cars. (those that haven't been using RWD SUVs.) Plus with the SUV backlash these cars will escape the gas guzzler labels of years past.

Reply to
Brent P

Tire-makers will rejoice as younger drivers rediscover the simple pleasures of parking-lot doughnuts and burn-outs.

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

I suppose you haven't seen this stupid rice boy trick:

Engage parking brake. Rev engine in gear spinning front tires and occasionally sliding rear tires. release parking brake. And lurch forward.

Reply to
Brent P

Yup. Silly kids.

Ahhh.... Americana. Mom and apple pie.

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

Dang FWD sucks! It's fine for getting from point A to B, but the cool factor is just ZERO. There's mot much sillier than a FWD drag race. Duh!

Chris

Reply to
Chris1

Reply to
David Spera

I'm not so sure that 'FWD' and 'handling' should both be used within the same sentence. I have found that those who despise RWD's performance on slippery surfaces are generally poor drivers to begin with, and can be dismissed without further thought on the matter.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Reply to
JD Adams

David, serious question: If you prefer the "handling" of FWD, why are you reading/posting in this newsgroup?

David Spera wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@stargate.net:

Reply to
Joe

Last winter with the torqueless wonder, a FWD car I missed what I could do with the stang in the snow. Not enough to get it salty needlessly though.

Anyway I think of RWD in the snow like a fighter aircraft in a way. It's more nimble and can do alot more, but if you don't know what you're doing you get yourself into alot of trouble quickly. But for those who know it's alot more forgiving and easy to get out of trouble.

FWD on the other hand is point and shoot. Can't do much with it, but it's hard to get oneself into trouble too. But once the limits are exceeded it's not very forgiving and one has to be really skilled to get out of trouble. Much more than RWD.

Being able to safely poke at the limits with a RWD car makes it easier for to get around in snow IMO. With FWD being conservative rules.

Reply to
Brent P

Here Here! One of the problems is, we have had a generation grow up where many have never driven a RWD car. If they were to drive them in slippery conditions many would not know what hit them ( literally and metaphorically) As you say, It is more of a driver issue than an equipment one. Having cut my driving teeth on all RWD ( My first car was a '67 Mustang) I enjoy the hang out the back end factor of RWD under my control as opposed to the mindlessness of FWD. Many a snowy empty parking lot was a practice ground to perfect that opposite lock. Nothing like being in a constant rear wheel drift, sawing and twitching the wheel and throttle to keep it in balance. StuK

snippage

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Screwing around in the snow with my first car, a '71 Nova, taught me the finer points of controlling a car during a slide. It let me know the car's limits and steering wheel movements necessary to regain control. That type of experience is directly applicable to emergency maneuvers on dry roads. It makes me wonder if this may be why a large number of younger people today seem to be lacking in driving skills in general. Before you younger people jump on me for stereo typing the four younger drivers in my family have had at least a dozen accidents and totaled four cars in the last 4-5 years. IMO, FWD has given us a generation of drivers that lack basic skills for controlling cars in emergency maneuvers. Just look at the insurance rates for younger drivers if you think otherwise.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I learned to drive in a '75 ford maverick with 3 on the tree, manual everything, 4 wheel drums. Talk about taking away confindence and jumping into the deep end of the pool. But at least it was a 'small' car. But on the plus side, I had to *learn* to drive. No point and shoot. Although I did take the test in my grandparents' automatic chrysler.

And what you said about younger drivers is confirmed by my experience encountering teenagers on the roadway. I don't remember *anyone* doing crap like this when I was in highschool. Sure they went to the back roads and torque braked old caddys to get the smoke from the tar in the cracks and the tires at the same time, did some stupid crap, but the kind of stuff I see now... geese. I just didn't see this stuff on crowded roads that puts other people at risk. Maybe it happened and I was too busy at work or studying to notice. *shrug* (1980s btw)

Reply to
Brent P

I grew up in the midwest is a small community. If we felt like driving fast we found a deserted stretch of road and had some fun. We didn't do on Main Street. I got my license in 1976 and my insurance for the first six months was $140, which was something I could easily afford with my $2.00/hour part time job. When we would drink we would cruise the country roads and the drunker we got the slower we drove. I never had the need to drive at triple digit speeds with two six packs of beer in me. In some ways I feel sorry for the kids growing up today. The one thing they have better though is the belief that oral sex isn't really sex. Now why didn't we think of promoting that view point? :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

My first, and last drive in the snow with a FWD was almost a disaster. Let up off the gas to slow due to a slippery situation, engine back pressure made wheels spin slower than the car was moving and I couldn't steer the damn thing. Glad there's no lock between D and N, slammed that thing into neutral and regained control. I'll never own a FWD, winter beater or not. I also learned to drive RWD in the N. Ohio snow. I had a Chevy Van, I6, 3 on the tree.

Reply to
Mike King

I have to agree with JD, I too live in the Northeast but I would never own a front wheel drive vehicle. RWD works perfectly in the snow, if you know how to drive in it. I drove a friends fwd once in the snow and I do not like the feel of the front of the vehicle sliding around in the snow. I think you have much better control with rwd.

Reply to
Dennis

Unfortunately they must have learned that from the last weasel that used(or was it abused) the oval office. I am all for oral sex, but it still is sex despite what slick Willie said.

Reply to
Dennis

Be ready for more...the Hildabeast is going to run, and will probably win. I don't want it, but what will we call Bill then---First Man?

Reply to
Ralph Snart

I prefer the simplicity of mashing the throttle and turning the steering wheel. :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE