Did all we really used to drive these cars?

I live on the east side of the SF Bay, 15 miles from my workplace in downtown SF. Today I had an 11:30 meeting in Burlingame (20 miles south of SF). I usually take the bus in and the subway home. But this meeting means I drive. So I decide to take the '65 289 Mustang fb I finally got roadworthy last Sunday after two years of weekend thrashes.

This car as delivered was pretty much a stripper. 3-spd stick, no power steering. I kept the tranny as is, for that vintage feel, and left the steering unassisted, because adding the power equipment is not cheap and I was trying to control costs.

So here I am returned from my Burlingame trip and I can't believe that everyone -- little old ladies, little YOUNG ladies, sages, fools, princes, paupers -- we all used to drive cars configured pretty much like this. I've just got to say, it has been a fair amount of work to pilot this thing through the clogged streets and freeways of a Bay Area Friday. The Bay Bridge toll plaza slog and the SF hills add to the challenge, but still. My left leg has gotten quite the workout. And after several bouts of parallel parking, on hills, with a stick, and with no power, I'm about worn out.

Back in the day I owned and drove a 4-door F-85, a '67 Chevelle SS

396, a '66 402 ci Vette, and a '67 327 Camaro. None of these had power steering or power brakes. All but the Olds had a Muncie 4-speed with that lousy Muncie shifter. And I just don't remember it being so much work.

Conclusion: we have gotten very spoiled since then.

Conclusion number 2: I bet the 50 year old geezers back in 1965 or

1970 or what have you were saying the same thing.

180 Out TS 28

Reply to
180 Out

Well, I would say that's what a test drive was for in the old days. I'm gonna bet that granny opted for PS after plowing into an oncoming squad car.

I suggest a daily weight-training regimen. Just because you are a geezer doesn't mean you have to be weak. Seriously, Bill. I've been back at the iron for a few months now and *everything* is easier. If an old serpent can do it, you can, too.

Like I said, you're getting old and weak. Is your daughter complaining?

And older and weaker.

They could gripe all they wanted if they chose not spend $86.30 for power steering or $43.20 for power brakes. Ya get what pay fo. And yes, those are option prices for a '65 Mustang.

A few years ago I used to take my 440 Road Runner out for the occasional spin. This car has manual steering, manual drum brakes, manual trans with a big clutch, headers with noisy mufflers, worn out seat padding, and ultra-stiff Mopar SS leaf springs out back. And it weighs at least 1000 lbs. more than your '65 Mousetang. It is a beast in every sense of the word. I love it. There's something very special about piloting an animalistic conveyance that demands your attention every minute. I swear my nads picked up a pound after every cruise.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

My 1970 Mustang Mach I featured (from the factory) 4 speed close ratio toploader (*non* hydraulically assisted clutch), 4 wheel drum brakes and

*no* power steering. I did eventually install front disc brakes because with front drums you wait forever just to *slow down* when you are pushing a 351C...
Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

"180 Out" wrote

"yep, the kids these days. We used to have to try not to break our arm cranking our cars to get'em started."

Reply to
Scott Williams

Reminds my of my 91 ranger that didn't have power steering. Except for parking, I didn't see much use in it. Anyhow, it seemed to get harder and harder to park. I found the front tires were down to 19 psi. After I put in air, it felt like I had power steering when I parked! John

Reply to
jriegle
** Conclusion: we have gotten very spoiled since then. ** ** Conclusion number 2: I bet the 50 year old geezers back in 1965 or ** 1970 or what have you were saying the same thing.

I agree: we've become spoiled, but it's not too late to undo the ravages of modern convenience.

I went to work for a produce trucking company about 9 years ago that offered very 'basic' semi trucks for their bulk deliveries to canneries. We're talking old (OLD!) cabovers without springs or air ride, no PS or A/C, no friggin AM/FM radio, and seats that were bolted to the floor - the non-adjustable variety.

After a few days in this thing, I thought I was gonna DIE! If I didn't croak from heat exhaustion, my kidneys were being beaten to death at every crack in the road. It took every damn thing I had to make a turn: even at 6'1" 265 lbs, cranking that big ol' 28" hard-plastic steering wheel enough to round the bend lifted my ass clear out of the seat, and then some. The clutch was so friggin stiff, my leg muscles burned and ached ever damn second of that

15-hour tour of duty each day.

But you know, after a couple of weeks, none of this was an issue. Like we did in the 60's and 70's, we simply got used to it. We were all in better physical shape, and piloting these machines took much more skill and dexterity than anything we drive today.

Oh yes, we've become very, very spoiled.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Two things:

  1. When you get used to manual steering and brakes, you don't even notice it.
  2. Clutches in traffic, not so. Nobody gets used to that. I remember reading that the Chevy execs were expected to drive hot Chevies to work all the time, and they hated it, so they came out with the Caprice around 1966 or so. This was motivated purely by them needing something to drive in the Detroit traffic.

What's amazing to me is that everybody drove 80 mph on the interstate with drum brakes, bias ply tires, and no sway bars. Everything on the road handled like a coal barge and the speed limit was 75. As we all know, there were a LOT of dead people per mile driven in the U.S. There still are a lot, but nothing like 30 or 40 years ago.

I think it would be kind of interesting to get a daily driver that would only go 50 mph. Like a restored M38 Jeep or something. Then you'd have to drive on back roads and streets, and you'd have to take your time. You'd be driving AS IF modern bypass roads had never been built. Might be good therapy for agressive driving.

Reply to
Joe

Could be worse - how about a 1970 AMC Hornet - 3-on-the-tree - on the hills in the rain with vacuum wipers? :)

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

"Joe" wrote

Or a good way to decrease the surplus population. There's just enough morons out there who would STILL try to drive like it was I-15 going from Las Vegas to San Bernardino.

Reply to
Scott Williams